Hand Sanitizers Damaging to Rings?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic

• 254 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone know if hand sanitizers like Purell cause damage to rings? I've heard people say they can weaken prongs or cause discoloration but I haven't been able to find any information confirming this online. My jeweler told me that I shouldn't have to worry about my platinum rings. Does anyone have any information or experience with these products damaging jewelry?

I'm a nurse so I use hand sanitizer about 100000 times a day. Maybe some of you other nurse-brides have some input?

#2 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Ive never heard that and Im an RN too. Yeah, my ring is white gold, had it since May '08 and it still looks fine. I have to have mine inspected 2x year for insurance, so if the prongs are getting weak from sanitizer Ill find out next month when its due.

#3 Bisha

• 265 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

My rings are platinum and I've had my E-Ring for 4 years now. I can't say that I use the hand sanitized a 10000 times a day but, about 5-10 and haven't notices any effect on my rings. Actually, it's the first time I hear anything like that

#4 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

i use it all the time (not 10K a day, but a few times haha) and i have WG bands. i havent noticed any discoloration or weakening, and i've had it inspected 2 times and rhodium dipped 1 time in the year that i've had it.

Attached Files

#5 *Casey*

• 5,209 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

This is news to me... If you can't find much about it online, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#6 lmg970

• 316 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

I am also a nurse and use purell stuff quite a bit, I have yellow gold e-ring and no discoloration yet. I have had it since may this year

#7 Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 6,996 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

I'm an RN too, and I think I use Purell like 100 times a night. I've been wearing my e-ring (Platinum) for 2 1/2 years, and my wedding band for year and a half. I haven't had any discoloration or prong weakening....

#8 Mystic

• 254 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

Ok, I feel better now! I hadn't heard of it before either but recently heard it from two different people. Now that I think about it, how could an alcohol based sanitizer damage metal?

On another note, it's nice to see other RNs on here!

#9 EricaG

• 1,915 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:53 AM

Well here is another RN here for you that uses the sanitizers a LOT!!!!! I have had my e-ring for a while now and it is WG with no signs of damage from the alcohol. I seem to of heard that before too, but everyone at work wears their rings with no problems.
                  My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#10 yamille

• 1,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

I had the same worry about sanitizer! I also use a ton. My platinum ring is still in excellent condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users