Photo

Hand Sanitizers Damaging to Rings?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic

Mystic
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone know if hand sanitizers like Purell cause damage to rings? I've heard people say they can weaken prongs or cause discoloration but I haven't been able to find any information confirming this online. My jeweler told me that I shouldn't have to worry about my platinum rings. Does anyone have any information or experience with these products damaging jewelry?

I'm a nurse so I use hand sanitizer about 100000 times a day. Maybe some of you other nurse-brides have some input?

#2 Sloan

Sloan
    • 1,279 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Ive never heard that and Im an RN too. Yeah, my ring is white gold, had it since May '08 and it still looks fine. I have to have mine inspected 2x year for insurance, so if the prongs are getting weak from sanitizer Ill find out next month when its due.

#3 Bisha

Bisha
      • 265 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

My rings are platinum and I've had my E-Ring for 4 years now. I can't say that I use the hand sanitized a 10000 times a day but, about 5-10 and haven't notices any effect on my rings. Actually, it's the first time I hear anything like that

#4 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
        • Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

i use it all the time (not 10K a day, but a few times haha) and i have WG bands. i havent noticed any discoloration or weakening, and i've had it inspected 2 times and rhodium dipped 1 time in the year that i've had it.

Attached Files

#5 *Casey*

*Casey*
        • 5,209 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

This is news to me... If you can't find much about it online, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#6 lmg970

lmg970
          • 316 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

I am also a nurse and use purell stuff quite a bit, I have yellow gold e-ring and no discoloration yet. I have had it since may this year

#7 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 6,996 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

I'm an RN too, and I think I use Purell like 100 times a night. I've been wearing my e-ring (Platinum) for 2 1/2 years, and my wedding band for year and a half. I haven't had any discoloration or prong weakening....

#8 Mystic

Mystic
              • 254 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

Ok, I feel better now! I hadn't heard of it before either but recently heard it from two different people. Now that I think about it, how could an alcohol based sanitizer damage metal?

On another note, it's nice to see other RNs on here!

#9 EricaG

EricaG
                • 1,915 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:53 AM

Well here is another RN here for you that uses the sanitizers a LOT!!!!! I have had my e-ring for a while now and it is WG with no signs of damage from the alcohol. I seem to of heard that before too, but everyone at work wears their rings with no problems.
                  http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
                  My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
                  http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#10 yamille

yamille
                  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

I had the same worry about sanitizer! I also use a ton. My platinum ring is still in excellent condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users