Cat people- How do you stop a cat from peeing?

Jacqueline

and why does a cat continue to pee on floors, clothes, etc I have someone who's cat continues to pee and they just about had it. im trying to help them.

my options were- take him to vet as he might have blatter infection

and two, make sure liiter box is cleaned everyday as cats can be picky. maybe even have two liter boxes.

anyone else know anythign about this?? i would hate to see the cat be tossed to a shelter!

I think there are sprays you can buy and spray where they are peeing? And I know getting them fixed usually helps. Sorry, I am not much help. I did have a kitten that kept peeing in the same spot all the time. Nothing would work to make him stop so I cleaned the carpet really good and put a table over the spot. He never did it again anywhere else and used his litter box like a champ.

for my cats, you have to make sure there are no clothes, towels, plastic bags, (anything really) on the floor, and the box has to be so clean you could eat out of it (nasty, sorry, but they really are picky about how clean it is). also if you dont feed them when they are used to it, or if their (your) schedule changes in any way they tend to freak and piss on something. they also really love to pee on things like rugs/carpet, so if you have all hardwoods like us it helps!

they also make this thing like a glade plug-in that puts out an odorless scent they can smell to help calm them and supposedly it helps. ive never tried it but its called feliway.

Feliway Spray For Cats

some people really believe in it but we havent had it get so bad that we need to try it. some cats are just so picky, they dont want used furniture that other cats have been on, or sweaty gym clothes on the floor, whatever.

If it's an unfixed male, chances are it's spraying... as Kelly mentioned... marking its territory.

Make sure it's not a UTI, so a quick trip to the vet should be looked at. Or make sure it's not something else that is underlying condition.

Try changing the litter type... if the litter is scented, try unscented. Or try something like Daily news (Paper pellets).

The areas that were peed on have to be cleaned up super well. If the scent is there, they may continue to pee there. Though if you can't smell it, doesn't mean the cat doesn't.

Keep everything put away. Close doors to keep the cat out.

thank you everyone. all your suggestions helped. i have heard of the feliway stuff too so i suggested that. i def think its his nerves, apprently there has been a new dog in house and remodeling of hosue. i thnk the lil peanut is just scared. i hoe they take them to the vet. thanks ladies! xo

oh edit- he is fixed.

You can go to pet smart and get something to take the ammonia smell out of the carpet he pee'd on. There's one that comes in a white container with a red lid, I can't remember the name for the life of me. You can find it normally around the kitty litter and boxes. That's what you want to get out. Cats are very moody and vindictive! If they get pissy with you, they'll prolly pee somewhere or claw up something.

I'd say if these things came on with the addition of a dog and the turmoil of a house remodel, it is most definitely nerves. More than 1 litter box helps too, they like to have privacy when they do their business usually.

If he gets in the habit of doing this, he'll become what is often referred to as a dirty cat and they won't be able to break him of it. They really should talk to a vet, who would be able to tell them if it is medical and sometimes they will prescribe a prescription to help calm the cat. Cats are extremely sensitive to changes in their environments.

Some sites that might help are:

Advice for cat urinating outside the litterbox

How to Retrain a Cat to Use the Litter Box - wikiHow

Anti icky poo is awesome stuff. I recommend it to my clients!

FYI, the feliway also helps w/ kitty stress if you are moving, have a new baby/dog/etc or have lots of holiday company...I mention because stress can bring on bladder infections.

Wish I could add more insight to the problem, but everyone already took my best vet tech answers...you BDW girls are just too smart. :-)