Photo

Dollar Dance? Heard of it?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 CarlyChristine

CarlyChristine
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

All my sister's did this at their weddings. It was a lot of fun for everyone and very funny at points.

#62 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
    • Banned
    • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by michelle6114
      Oh dear. Dollar dances? Personally, If I am a guest at a wedding, up until then I've usually bought the couple an engagement gift, bridal shower gift, and money in the wedding card. If I felt like I was still being asked to contribute anything else, I think I would be offended.
      I was at a wedding in Montana where the groomsmen kidnapped the bride for ransom and wouldn't let her back until the amount was collected from these poor guests (all who I may add were standing in a church basement drinking punch and eating paper cupfuls of peanuts). The grooms mother just about died from embarrasment.
      Obviously it is up to the couple but I think it is tacky.
      My step sister and her husband did this. I thought it was tacky to raise a certain amount. I mean really? However it was the groom who had a ball and chain on his foot and it wouldnt be removed till he got all the funds needed.

#63 NewYorkie

NewYorkie
      • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

I just went to a wedding that did this and didn't know it was a cultural tradition. I was very entertaining to see where people placed them.

#64 smith3576

smith3576
        • 290 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

I personally find it a little tacky but I know lots of people do it. I would say if you do, some sort of explanation about the cultural tradition of it would help to put it in context and make it less tacky. Or donating the money to charity.

I have been to weddings where guests didn't really participate and they had to coax people - that was a little awkward for the bride! So I think explanations can help prevent that too.
          We're married! Jamie

#65 vlynnw

vlynnw
          • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Everyone I've ever known has a dollar dance. However, it doesn't usually involve the MOH or a hat or the bride and groom running away. Usually people pay the bride $1 or more to dance with her for a short period of time. Sometimes people also have it set-up to dance with the groom as well but traditionally it's just to dance with the bride.
            Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#66 xxashleyxx007

xxashleyxx007
            • 227 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

I had never heard of this until I came to all of the wedding forums! Personally, we won't be doing one. I would like to see one done at a wedding though!

#67 smith3576

smith3576
              • 290 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I just read my response and realized it sounded differently than I meant it. Knowing our guests and wedding, I feel it would be tacky, but I didn't mean it in a general way. For those of you doing it - have fun!!!
                We're married! Jamie

#68 TAHOEJENI

TAHOEJENI
                • 164 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by smith3576
                  I personally find it a little tacky but I know lots of people do it. I would say if you do, some sort of explanation about the cultural tradition of it would help to put it in context and make it less tacky. Or donating the money to charity.

I have been to weddings where guests didn't really participate and they had to coax people - that was a little awkward for the bride! So I think explanations can help prevent that too.
                  I'm with her!

Not planning on doing one or anything else to generate revenue. I figure my guests are paying money to be with me and I don't even care if we get gifts. If we need it, we'll buy it.

#69 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
                  • 1,619 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

We do it in our family (french family) We will do it for AHR. It's fun, allows you to mingle with your guest, and it's true you can make a pretty buck or two! lol
                    http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
                    Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
                    Happily ever after...

#70 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
                    • 1,619 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

I responded only after reading the first page, oopps...

Let me just say, if it's a tradition in your family, you will not need to explain what's going on. I grew up to this, so for me and my family it's normal. FI family knows all about it.
                      Guest do not need to do it, but I have yet to meet one person who hasn't done it (that would be weird) not like you have to put allot of money, it could be $5!
                      http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
                      Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
                      Happily ever after...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users