Photo

Dollar Dance? Heard of it?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 JoLo908

JoLo908
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

So, this past weekend FI and I drove down to Baltimore to attend a wedding for one of my old sorority sisters. At the reception, they had what they called the "dollar dance" where the MOH carries a hat around or wears and apron and people put $1s, $10s, $20s etc. in the hat or apron and then have a short dance with the bride or groom... at the end the couple traditionally runs away off the dance floor or something. All my friends from PA say it is tradition, same with the girls from MD. I had never heard of this! It was actually fun, but I had never heard or seen it until then!

#2 -Kate-

-Kate-
    • VIP Member
    • 7,676 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

It's a very midwest thing. I've been to 1 million weddings where they do this. The B&G usually make a pretty good amount.

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

I've seen it at a few weddings. I personally don't care for it.

#4 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 3,754 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

I thought this was only a Mexican tradition, lol. Everyone does this, we decided not too. I felt bad doing this knowing our guests spent a lot of money to travel to our wedding. Funny though, a ton of people said they were disappointed that we didn't have this tradition.

#5 Martha

Martha
          • VIP Member
          • 3,906 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

I thought it was a Spanish thing also...we had one at my first wedding. In fact, every wedding I have ever been to down here there has been a dollar dance. :)

#6 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

I thought everyone did this too! Almost every wedding I've been to had a 'money dance' but you don't put it in a hat, you pin it on the bride or groom, or stick it in their pockets, etc. Actually it can get pretty raunchy depending on the crowd haha

We didn't do it for the reasons Amy said.

#7 ret2010

ret2010
              • 289 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

It's a filipino tradition too, who probably got it from their spanish ancestors! In our culture, the tradition is that now that bride and groom are married, you have to pay them in order to dance with them. We probably won't do it our wedding for the same reason as well.

#8 adias.angel

adias.angel
                • 719 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by starchild
                  Almost every wedding I've been to had a 'money dance' but you don't put it in a hat, you pin it on the bride or groom, or stick it in their pockets, etc.
                  We live in Michigan and every wedding I have been to has done this. Here though they give you a shot of pucker too. A few dollar dances and there are some trashed people on the dance floor.

#9 *Casey*

*Casey*
                  • 5,209 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

I had never heard of this until I moved to the northeast, but I think it's a great idea... especially if you're paying for your own wedding.

#10 Banana11

Banana11
                    • VIP Member
                    • 8,841 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

Almost every wedding I went to growing up had a dollar dance. Depending on the crowd it can be okay but is sometimes awkward. My FI & I both agree it's not for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users