Jewish Wedding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rob4ever

rob4ever
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

Hi There,

My fiance is Jewish and I am not. We are trying to plan a Jewish wedding ceremony in PDC Mexico and I was wondering how difficult it is to find a Rabbi? We would be getting married on Friday before sundown, but since I am not converting, I am not sure if this will cause a problem finding someone to marry us. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Debs

Debs
    • VIP Member
    • 7,104 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

I thought if you weren't coverting you couldn't get married by a rabbi?

#3 rob4ever

rob4ever
      • 53 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

Like I said, I am not the expert here since I'm not Jewish, but is that the case? I thought you could...

#4 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:20 AM

what about brining your own officant down...that is what we did...so it can be a ceremony with jewish undertones and traditions.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#5 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
        • 5,248 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

You do not need to convert to Judaism to be married by a rabbi. If you were getting married in a temple then it might be a problem b/c conservative temples won't let a reformed jew get married there, and orthodox temples don't allow conservative jews, etc. If you are not getting married in a temple then it's usually not a problem. However, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that only a reformed rabbi would probably marry you guys. I don't think a conservative rabbi and def not an orthodox rabbi would marry you if you are not converting. I know that there are rabbis in Mexico city but I'm not sure about other areas in Mexico, since Mexico is predominately a catholic country. Your best bet is to bring someone from home and fly them in. Or else you can go online and hire a rabbi. It really shouldn't be a problem. Then you will just have to get a chuppah (which looks a little bit like an arch) that is made from flowers and you will be all set for your jewish wedding.

-Glenda

#6 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
          • 5,248 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

Oops I just realized that your post said friday before sundown. This may be a problem. Friday is not a good day to have a jewish wedding b/c of the sabbath. But if you find a really liberal reformed rabbi then you might be able to.

-Glenda

#7 rob4ever

rob4ever
            • 53 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for all of the advice! I am going to talk to Rob's sister and another couple who I know that had an inter-faith ceremony. I will let you know when I find out more!

#8 MagsieMexico

MagsieMexico
              • 420 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hi Alissa,

Please let me know what you find out! My FI is Jewish also, and I am not... I don't want a Jewish ceremony, but I would like to mix some Christian and Jewish traditions in a nice way, would love to hear your ideas!

Thanks.
                Margaret & Eric

#9 Can'tHardlyWait

Can'tHardlyWait
                • 812 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by rob4ever
                  Thanks for all of the advice! I am going to talk to Rob's sister and another couple who I know that had an inter-faith ceremony. I will let you know when I find out more!
                  I don't know if you have already worked out the rabbi situation, but I am in the process of tracking one down myself. Like Glenda said, most of the Mexican Jewish Community lives in Mexico city, but one of the WC's I talked to this week gave me a phone number for the Jewish Community Center in Cancun. It's 011 52 998 892 1006. I believe she said the rabbi/cantor is reformed so he may be open to performing an interfaith marriage.

Hope this helps!

Galit

#10 mridgway

mridgway
                  • 132 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

We are in the same situation and are hoping to incorporate both in our ceremony - interested to hear what you all decide!

Melissa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users