Sign in to follow this  
KLC77

Help Me~ Random Math Question

My niece needs help with her math packet for school and I'm the only one who knows anything about math in my family. Only problem is I can't remember if I know how to divide fractions correctly.

Do you just multiply by the reciprocal? For example 2/3 divided by 3/8 would be 2/3 times 8/3 equalling 16/9? Does that even make sense? lol Ugh, 7th grade math! TIA

That is exactly right!

Dividing Proper/Improper Fractions

dividend ¸ divisor = quotient

1. Change mixed numbers to improper fractions.

2. Change the dividing sign to multiply and flipflop (take the reciprocal of) the divisor.

3. Multiply the numerators and multiply the denominators

4. Change to mixed numbers if necessary.

5. Reduce to lowest terms.

OMG I almost broke out in a sweat. I swear I know nothing about math (it was my worth subject) which is why I became a lawyer. I'm pretty sure you multiply by the recipricol but knowing my pathetic 83 in 7th grade math I'm more likely than not wrong. Hopefully someone who is good at math like Christa or Ann can help you out.

Thanks Missy! I just want to tell her not to worry about it because she most likely will never use it again, but I'm trying to be a good aunt. lol So, off to divide fractions I go...

Wow , I feel really dumb now. I rocked out in math until the 8th grade, then it all went down hill.

I remember FOIL and a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and that's about it.

That is right :) I thought I would never use that again until I started studying for the GRE...you definitely need to remember 7th grade math for the GRE...fun!!

My third grade math teacher gave me this little ditty to remember how to divide fractions:

Mine is not to question why, just invert and multiply.

Has stuck with me ever since.

haha so funny how this stuff sticks with us. i was thinking about conjunctions at work today.

and, but, or, nor, for, yet, so *lets go!*

good times. :) but seriously- anybody have great plans for the weekend?