Photo

Some GREAT reasons to skip using plastic bags...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Alyssa

Alyssa
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

Click the image to open in full size.

#2 beachbride08

beachbride08
    • VIP Member
    • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

That is horrible! I just started using the "green bags" when I shop.
      Michelle

#3 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Wow, that's alot of info. I was just telling Matt at dinner the other night that I would like to make an effort to start living a little more "green". The thread started by Amy a few weeks ago, made me realize how little I really do and how just doing a little something would have an effect. Thanks for posting Alyssa.

#4 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

I use reusable bags at whole foods & trader joes because they make it so easy. I feel like my target isn't as equiped for reusable bags, but I'm going to start using them anyway. I'll help them bag things up if I can.

I wanted to give out OOT bags that could be used as shopping bags after the wedding, but the ones i got are too small. I like the kind with a flat bottom.

#5 Jessica

Jessica
          • VIP Member
          • 11,939 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Oooh, That's a cool bag Alyssa!

I have bags galore. The other day I bought a few green bags that were on clearance at Target for about $5 (not the red bags that fold up that they have, they were a natural color with various designs.)

My MIL got me a great one from Australia that is super cute.

#6 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
            • Moderators
            • 25,218 posts
            • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
            • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

WA state just passed a law (?) that all stores have to start charging $0.20 per paper or plastic bag used by a customer that is NOT a :reusable" type bag. supposedly the $ from the fee goes to a "green fund" that actually goes towards solid waste management.

so everywhere you look the last week since the news broke, reuseable bags everywhere! on sale, super expensive, plain, fancy, they are everywhere!

i think they are a great idea, but now what am i going to throw out the cat litter in??

#7 Kathie

Kathie
            • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'm with you 100% Alyssa. Another thing that I do is when I have to buy soda or tonic that comes with the plastic rings I cut them up so birds and other animals can't get caught in them.

#8 seaprincess

seaprincess
              • 753 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

I have been using reusable bags for groceries for about a year and a half since they began selling them in almost every food store we shop. I even got an insulated reusable bag for my perishables and frozen food. It made such a difference not getting our groceries packed in plastic that we actually don't have a plastic bag in the house. I still feel bad using the plastic garbage bags though...any alternatives out there? Plus doggie poop pick-up from the backyard isn't exactly paper bag friendly....any advice?
                Lindsay and Jamie - January 28, 2009

#9 Yari

Yari
                • VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

I am so GREEN when it comes to bags. My MOH gave me a cute bag that folds up to use for everyday purchases. It is awesome!

#10 ginalynn

ginalynn
                  • 219 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

Great info, thanks. We try to use reusable bags when we go grocery shopping, and are finally starting to get into the habit. It's hard to remember to take bags to the store with you when you go in the beginning, but maybe all of the extra reasons will make it a little easier for me to remember. Again, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users