Photo

So many ideas, so little $$$... OOT bags

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 briscoecrown

briscoecrown
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

Ok, so I'm getting a little carried away with the OOT bag thing. I have no idea how many guests I'm having, but I also want to get a jump start on purchasing small items. If I start picking up a few items now, it won't hit my pocket as much later on.

I've seen SO many wonderful ideas (thanks to this site) & I need to slow myself down because the 'little' things add up. However, I'm excited and I don't want to risk waiting until the last minute. I would like to knock out as many wedding tasks as possible to avoid 'crunch time.' I have this fear that if I wait, I'll be scrambling around looking for anything to fill the bags & possibly end up paying more money for items.

So my issue is... Should I guesstimate the number of guests and start purchasing? Or should I just have a little more patience and wait til we get closer to the wedding date (6/5/09).

#2 Bride010101

Bride010101
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

I would try and be patient until you have a better idea.... when I was about 10 months out I thought I knew my guest list... but boy has it changed. I'm wishing I would have waited on some of my purchases... however some stuff (sunscreen/aloe) if you come across a really good deal - I wouldn't pass it up.

#3 merocket59

merocket59
      • 937 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

I am guestimating and buying items that I find good deals on but that I could still buy later on if I needed more, or things that wouldn't matter if they weren't exactly the same in everyones bags. Ex: I got a really good deal on mini hand sanitzers so I picked them up but I could always buy more, I got packs of brightly colored tissues from the dollar store but it wouldn't really matter if I couldn't find the exact same ones for everyone b/c they are just tissue packs.

#4 briscoecrown

briscoecrown
        • 132 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the pointers!! It's the deals I can't seem to pass up. I just don't want to end up with a 5 year supply of lip balm because of my eagerness!

#5 Virg

Virg
          • 684 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

Any links for cheapp bulk sunscreen, after sun lotion, etc?
            Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
            Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

#6 sunset78

sunset78
            • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

I so want to buy up stuff too, but I am trying to hold back... except those cute photo albums... couldn't pass those up. But I am wait til I know for sure who many people.. so I will wait until about 5 months before the wedding.

#7 SunBride

SunBride
              • 1,499 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

try to set yourself a budget per bad, and also a budget per item. Like I tried not to spend more than 20$ per bag (but I only had 8 guests and I made one bag per couple so only 5 bags!!!). I also didn't let myself spend more than 3$ per item - it just isn't worth it seeing as you really don't know whether the person will use the item or not. For example, sunscreen can be expensive (like at leat 7$ per bottle and I couldn't find any travel size ones) and I assumed that everyone would know to buy some so I didn't bother. But I figured people wouldn't necessarily think of brining aloe vera so I bought that instead. Just try to set limits because it's so easy to get carried away.

For advance purchases, I would try to limit yourself to only the best deals. And I think it would be better to underestimate the number of guests, and then buy extra stuff later, rather that have tons of leftover unused stuff

#8 heather007

heather007
                • 620 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:00 AM

I got a head start on my shopping as soon as we decided to get married in Mexico. The reason for us is like you, I knew that I couldn't spend a lot of money closer to the wedding because I go to university and I don't work during the semesters.

Plus, we are getting married in Feb., so finding fab. finds closer to our wedding date just won't happen, not in Saskatchewan atleast.

I agree with Sunbride, set a price limit per bag, you can always increase it later on, or, if you find something really cool, you won't freak out over having one amazing gift in the bags.

~~

#9 kerryjbrown

kerryjbrown
                  • 672 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:22 AM

Funny you bring this up...I had this dilema today. Not getting married until 4/4 09 but wanted to start buying the little things as FI does not think we need to do OOT bags (thinks they are a waste of $). So, long story short...first trip to Target and I had to make 2 decisions: 1. am I doing OOT bags even though FI says no and 2. if I am, how many do I need and should I start now. I have sent out 71 invites. Thanks to The knot, I know that means 41 invitations due to couples and singles. I am expecting about 50% of that so I assumed 36 people. I played it safe with 15 couples and 6 singles so I bought 21 of all the small items. I figure this way, if I am short...I can find one or two items to make up or if I am over, it will only be by one or two and I can always use Aleve & shout....

Not sure if this helps, but look at your guest invite, the # booked, the # promised, and the # for sure not attending and get a close base off that. Not all of them (if you are short) have to be 100% the same. I know my Gma does not need the aleve or tylenol so if I miss that I can throw something else in last minute.

#10 heather007

heather007
                    • 620 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Wow, awesome math skills. I'm at a loss when it comes to figuring out how many things to buy. I just used 40 as my magic number. LoL.

~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users