christmas vacation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1elephant

1elephant
  • VIP Member
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

we're thinking about trying to get away with another couple the week of christmas/new years. we originally said a cruise, but w/ time being of the essence, we didn't want to spend a few days flying from ny to fl or wherever. then we found out that we couldn't really do a cruise for less than $1500/pp +flights and drinks.

so my question is: is it possible to go on vacation for around $1000/pp (or less!) around christmas? or are we dreaming the impossible dream?

#2 lucy106

lucy106
    • 2,880 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

How about a spa retreat somewhere closer to home? or maybe take your chances with something like priceline? I think the cruise is an option but it just may be a last minute booking for a lower price.

#3 Alyssa

Alyssa
      • 11,793 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

Lauren, you may be able to go to Costa Rica or someone in Latin America although flights are kind of high anywhere these days.

i am guessing you want to go somewhere warm?

FI and I went to Arizona for a long weekend over Vday and you could easily do a week of fun stuff in the nice weather there for about that much - not too far from Newark - just a thought

#4 Yari

Yari
        • VIP Member
        • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

I'm sure there has to be a package out there that can get you airfare and hotel for $1000 or less. I say keep on searching.

#5 1elephant

1elephant
          • VIP Member
          • 15,998 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:55 PM

i don't even know where to look. i keep bouncing from the florida keys to puerto rico, costa rica to jamaica...i think i may leave this to dh...but if anyone has suggestions, offer them up!

#6 *Nadine*

*Nadine*
            • 5,466 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

I honestly think you might be dreaming
              THats the exact week we are having our wedding in 2009 and we had a horrendous time finding a cheap resort! Everything sky rockets that week. OUr particular resort jumped $1000 pp for that week.

Not sure what to tell you cause i know we looked everywhere..

#7 Jennifer Davis

Jennifer Davis
              • 582 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by lauren
                we're thinking about trying to get away with another couple the week of christmas/new years. we originally said a cruise, but w/ time being of the essence, we didn't want to spend a few days flying from ny to fl or wherever. then we found out that we couldn't really do a cruise for less than $1500/pp +flights and drinks.

so my question is: is it possible to go on vacation for around $1000/pp (or less!) around christmas? or are we dreaming the impossible dream?
                I have done this for the past two years.

In 2006 I went to Cancun and stayed at Paradisus Rivera Maya. We paid $800 per person and had non-stop flights.

In 2007, I went to DR and stayed at Excellence Punta Cana. We paid $950 per person and had a non-stop flight and a swim up room.

One year I booked through Expedia and the next year, I booked directly with the resort and the airline.

Hunt around. You'll be able to find something good.

#8 tvt

tvt
                • VIP Member
                • 4,812 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

hmmm around that time prices are really high.

2 years ago we did a new years vacation, for a week at a nice Riviera Maya AI + flights it was 2k per person...

check out the DR though. It's beautiful and still reasonably priced.

#9 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                  • 26,161 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

I started reading this and thought you were looking for a couple to go with and I was going to offer our services...lol j/k

I bet you can do it, you're on the cool coast as far as being near to so many awesome places. From my experience staying in the U.S. is more expensive than leaving the country, I would check out the Caribbean. Good luck

#10 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 9,504 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

I think you guys could probably luck out and get some sort of last minute deal. I know it sucks for planning, but that is what a friend and I have done. We just reserved the time and then found something to fit into it.

I get all kinds of travel deals e-mailed to me, but so far nothing for Christmas/New Years. I'll let you know if I do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users