How much are alterations??

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
  • Banned
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

I know it depends on how much and where you have altered, but can you give me some ball-parks of what you girls paid and what kind of alteration it was? Thank you very much!!

#2 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 12,193 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

My alterations were a flat fee of $300. Included was anything that I needed done to the dress from top to bottom. I thought that was highway robbery...but each time I had a fitting I saw how the dress changed & saw how much work it entailed. So I guess in reality it is worth it, especially if you have a lot to do, but it really hurt me to part with that much $!

#3 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
      • Banned
      • 1,051 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

Wow! That's nice they included WHATEVER needed to be done to the dress in the price, however I am going to need just an inch or so taken in under my arms and nothing more. I'll have to shop around a bit.

#4 Yvette

Yvette
        • 510 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

mine cost $200 just for the hem! i think it's craziness but there weren't many other options. a friend of mine is having her wedding in Sept, she got her dress custom made and spent $500 in alterations, how nuts, esp since it was custom made!

#5 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 12,193 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Yvette
            mine cost $200 just for the hem! i think it's craziness but there weren't many other options. a friend of mine is having her wedding in Sept, she got her dress custom made and spent $500 in alterations, how nuts, esp since it was custom made!
            $500 for alterations and the dress is CUSTOM made What am I missing?

#6 Yvette

Yvette
            • 510 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by JUSTUSTWO
              $500 for alterations and the dress is CUSTOM made What am I missing?
              That's what I'm sayin'!!!! I don't get it either.

#7 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
              • 1,209 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Andrea - I don't even have my dress yet, but I'm seriously thinking of bringing it to this little dry cleaners in the basement of a mall nearby for the alterations I'll need done. They hem my pants for me and I've seen wedding dresses in there...
                Is that crazy? I thought I might be able to get away with $60 or something... I will need to tighten the bodice area and figure something out like a bustle (but it's so small of a train and very little material).

Am I nuts? That's my hope. There's no way I'm shelling out $200! My dress is less than $500...

#8 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
                • VIP Member
                • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:36 PM

Mine was $20. I didnt have it hemed or taken in though. Fit like a glove! I just had loops put on in the back for the buttons, a clasp on the top and a button to bustle the dress.

#9 Jen5372

Jen5372
                  • 228 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

OMG I was pissed spending 135.00! I was advised to not get them done at the bridal shop-way overpriced...so I listened and got asweet italian lady (referral) and she did a hem, french bustle and took it in under the amrs and waist. The dress was 2 sizes too big for me-but...i was in a rush.

I thought 135 was alot-considering the hem was 65.00 of it-but she did have to take it in twice...and ddnt chare extra! The dress was only 300 to start with. I wanted to stay cheap cheap-since the wedding is so short and no real reception. Im also in small town-Rochester-I assume its more in a bigger city!

#10 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
                    • Banned
                    • 1,051 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:49 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by kevsgirl
                      Andrea - I don't even have my dress yet, but I'm seriously thinking of bringing it to this little dry cleaners in the basement of a mall nearby for the alterations I'll need done. They hem my pants for me and I've seen wedding dresses in there...
                      Is that crazy? I thought I might be able to get away with $60 or something... I will need to tighten the bodice area and figure something out like a bustle (but it's so small of a train and very little material).

Am I nuts? That's my hope. There's no way I'm shelling out $200! My dress is less than $500...
                      I don't think it's crazy at all! My dress was also under $500.00 so I can't imagine spending MORE in alterations than I paid for the dress. LOL....I am going to look around a bit and probably take it to a local mom and pop shop. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users