Jamaica and Alternative Lifestyles

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 luvtoteachlaw

• 134 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

Well . . . this could be a touchy subject, but before I discusss it with family, I thought I would check to see how someone else might have handled it.

In putting together my wedding website, I was checking out some travel sites for more "practical information" and found that it could be somewhat dangerous for individuals with an alternative lifestyle to be themselves in Jamaica. Apparently, homosexuality is illegal there, and threats and actions of violence are not even frowned upon by the police!

So, my fiancee has a cousin who is legally married to another man (it is legal in MA), and they will definitely be coming to the wedding events. In fact, they have been very supportive of our plans. So, I am not sure what to say to them, if anything, about this new information. We will be staying in private villas on the south coast, so it is not like we will be in the middle of Montego Bay, Ochos Rios or Negril.

Has anyone had to handle a similar situation, and if so, what did you do?

#2 Spazz

• VIP Member
    • 10,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

One of my friends brought his boyfriend to my wedding. He said he was so excited that I was having it in Jamaica because they always wanted to go there, but were afraid to b/c of how gays are looked upon there. My wedding was a good opportunity for them to go b/c they blended in with our large crowd and had zero problems. I wouldn't see it being an issue if they are staying at a private resort or villa. If they were out in the middle of the city by themselves, then I would be a little concerned.

#3 Banana11

• VIP Member
      • 8,841 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

I've also heard that Jamaica can be very unsafe for people in same-sex relationships. I think you should for sure mention it to them ahead of time. It's only coming from a place of love and concern for their safety. There's a good chance they already know about it. Better to be on the safe side and give them the information. Plus, even though you are in a private villa, and you should be totally fine, it's just better to be aware.

#4 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,504 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

We had no problems, and infact saw several gay/lesbian couples at our resort.

I don't think they will have any trouble, especially in a group.

#5 seaprincess

• 753 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

I definetly agree that you need to have a conversation with them about it...just out of concern for their safety if they choose to leave the villa...but I would imagine staying at a private villa is the best of both worlds, seeing Jamaica without prejudice
            Lindsay and Jamie - January 28, 2009

#6 joshfrommontreal

• 291 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

I would say unless they are kissing/holding hands in public then they should be fine. Definitely something to talk to them about before hand but unless they are broadcasting it I would think it would be hard for people to figure it out.

#7 bobbi-francis

• 186 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

if you are on a private resort/villa etc...i'm sure they will be fine, they may get a few funny looks from the staff, but it cant go any further than that. going off the resort may be another story...unfortunately ignorance is worldwide.

#8 chiefscribe

• 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Most people I know in the queer community know better than to go to Jamaica. Fortunately, my non-queer family and friends haven't had weddings there. I can't (and wouldn't even if I could) "pass" and would not feel safe attending one there.

If your LGBT friends and relatives do go, I'd make sure they know about what's going on there so they can minimize their exposure to potential danger.

GlobalGayz. Com...Welcome

Jamaica: the Caribbean's no-go zone: should LGBT travelers boycott the homophobic Caribbean isle, or has a de facto gay ban already occurred? | Advocate, The | Find Articles at BNET

Jamaica: Hated to Death: V. Finding of Human Rights Watch's Investigation

#9 Virg

• 684 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

I have actually watched a canadian documentary about this. And they said that they best way for people to show their support towards Jamaica's anti-gay attitude is to be a tourist there.
                    If they choose to go, make sure that they are aware.
                    Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
                    Made it legal : June 30, 2009

#10 allaboutodd

• 43 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

My fiancee is Jamaican and I have friends that are in same sex relationships. He told me about how his family felt about that from the very beginning and they would not accept it at all. He also told me that they are NOT accepting of it in Jamaica.

I would just let them know ahead of time but not in a manner to deter them from being how they are. I love my friends and wouldn't want them to be any other way but I would definitely let them know ahead of time so they do not feel uncomfortable while on vacation in Jamaica.

In addition, I think you will be ok since you are going with a big group of people for the wedding.

..Danny and Odyssey..
                      ..December 12, 2008..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users