Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KirstenRN6

Sand ceremony picture frame box

Recommended Posts

I really like this idea, I'm just concerned about taking it back on the plane with me. Knowing my luck, the stopper will pop open and sand will fill my suitcase!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I new how to add a link on here. There was someone else from this forum who has pictures of how to glue in the panes of glass and seal the top so sand wont spill out ( it's on shutterfly shared picture detail).

 

This is for the umbra frame ___ She used a glue called flora bond(got is from Micheals) and glued in the panes of glass that the sand would go between so sand doesn't leak out. When you're finished doing the sand ceramony you run a line of glue over top of the sand and it seals in the sand so you won't have any spills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranch View Post
I wish I new how to add a link on here. There was someone else from this forum who has pictures of how to glue in the panes of glass and seal the top so sand wont spill out ( it's on shutterfly shared picture detail).

This is for the umbra frame ___ She used a glue called flora bond(got is from Micheals) and glued in the panes of glass that the sand would go between so sand doesn't leak out. When you're finished doing the sand ceramony you run a line of glue over top of the sand and it seals in the sand so you won't have any spills.
I did a sand ceremony frame using the umbra frame just a couple of weeks ago. If you have seen the umbra frame this will make sense, if you haven't seen it, once you do it will make sense. There are four panes of glass. I did not glue the front piece of glass (so I could remove it to add a picture later onto the 2nd pane). I took out the 3rd piece of glass all together. Then I glued the 2nd and 4th pieces of glass into the frame, so there was a bigger space to pour sand. I don't know what kind of glue I used but it was some all inclusive, use on any type of surface type glue. I just took out the pane of glass, put a line of glue all around the frame and put the glass back in. I then scotch-taped over the area above/between the 1st and 2nd panes of glass so sand would not escape into that area (which it did anyway, but I just took out the 1st pane and wiped it out with a small brush once we got home). All that was left was the space to which you would pour the sand.

Funny story - we forgot to take the price tags off the bottom of our vases (that held the sand) so in our pics you can see the white stickers on the bottom. I was pissed about that, but nothing you can do now! Maybe photoshop it out :).

To get it home, amazingly enough, I carried it on board with me. Otherwise the sand will still spill out and get all mixed up. I kept it upright the ENTIRE time, through customs, on the plane, the WHOLE way. Until we were driving home from the airport, we turned a corner and my purse fell over and it turned sideways. Luckily - no spills!! I will post pictures of our ceremony. It was really cool!

Good luck ladies!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson_jc View Post
I did a sand ceremony frame using the umbra frame just a couple of weeks ago. If you have seen the umbra frame this will make sense, if you haven't seen it, once you do it will make sense. There are four panes of glass. I did not glue the front piece of glass (so I could remove it to add a picture later onto the 2nd pane). I took out the 3rd piece of glass all together. Then I glued the 2nd and 4th pieces of glass into the frame, so there was a bigger space to pour sand. I don't know what kind of glue I used but it was some all inclusive, use on any type of surface type glue. I just took out the pane of glass, put a line of glue all around the frame and put the glass back in. I then scotch-taped over the area above/between the 1st and 2nd panes of glass so sand would not escape into that area (which it did anyway, but I just took out the 1st pane and wiped it out with a small brush once we got home). All that was left was the space to which you would pour the sand.

Funny story - we forgot to take the price tags off the bottom of our vases (that held the sand) so in our pics you can see the white stickers on the bottom. I was pissed about that, but nothing you can do now! Maybe photoshop it out :).

To get it home, amazingly enough, I carried it on board with me. Otherwise the sand will still spill out and get all mixed up. I kept it upright the ENTIRE time, through customs, on the plane, the WHOLE way. Until we were driving home from the airport, we turned a corner and my purse fell over and it turned sideways. Luckily - no spills!! I will post pictures of our ceremony. It was really cool!

Good luck ladies!!
Thanks for sharing, we plan on doing the same thing. Do you know how much sand you used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgator View Post
Thanks for sharing, we plan on doing the same thing. Do you know how much sand you used?
We bought sand at Hobby Lobby. They had plastic jars containing about 1.5 pounds of sand, of all different colors. I bought 4 containers because I didn't know how much it would take, but we only ended up using 2 (1 of each color). I think we ended up having to dump out some of the unused sand from our vases in Mexico, but then I did add a bit more to the top of the frame once we got home because it had settled and some of it had spilled out on the travel back.

I would definitely make sure you have some plastic bags to transport it back in and carry it on the plane with you. I kept it with me at all times and was able to keep it upright. I'm sure if it laid over the sand would either spill out or mix all up.

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×