Talk to me about your AHR

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 ~Kate~

• 329 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

We might be going the way that Morgan did and cancelling ours as well. A lot of people who can't come to Mexico want to celebrate somehow, though, but if we end up doing one it will be very low key...I'm thinking afternoon garden party/bbq, very casual....

#12 BrittneyD

• 679 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:12 AM

We rented a building that has a huge yard out front. We are catering BBQ, setting out yard games, and keeping it really casual. We will have about 200 people, but I was not interested in a big to do. Plus, who knows what my dress will look like after my TTD.
      Brittney & Peter
      July 12, 2008
      Riu Ocho Rios

#13 Samantha S

Samantha S
      • 369 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:36 PM

We're just having a small-ish BBQ for people who couldn't make it-- mostly co-workers. Especially my FI's because he is a firefighter and there are like, 700 of them. I'm not complaining.

#14 amym567

• 403 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:46 PM

We did the whole "shi-bang", and it was awesome! We were so glad that we got to celebrate with so many people at home. We (and the wedding party) wore our wedding attire. We had a DJ, a huge cake (which we didn't have in Mexico), flowers, etc. Don't regret it one bit!

#15 EricaG

• 1,915 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

Now that I am back at work, I am not as excited about planning the AHR. I know that it will be a blast and there are so many people that have asked about it since they can't make it to the DW. Now that I am back at work again though, I am very busy and tired from that, especially since I will be working 3 extra shifts this week already.
            My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#16 monicabrandon2008

• 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

We are having about 100 people and are having a private party on the patio of a mexican restaurant. We will all eat and drink. We will have a slideshow up of our wedding pics. I predict this will only last 2 1/2 hours after eating and talking what else can you do? We didn't want to do the whole shi-bang but I think this will be perfect! It's actually all planned and done with, thank god!
              HIGH FIVE, WE'RE MARRIED!!!

#17 atlcatlover

• 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

I'm not planning mine yet (heck I dont even have a wedding date picked out) but I want a simple casual party. Part of why I am having a DW is because I want something laid back. So I envision a BBQ, or a low country boil, or even a pig roast. There will probably be 200 people though.

#18 anniebananie

• 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

Morgan, I did the same thing! I started planning a "big shabang" but I didn't really want that. So instead, we are going back home (Illinois) and having a relaxing BBQ kind of a thing in my parents backyard. 1. We don't like to have alot of spotlight on us.
                  2. We like to have fun and relax with friends/family
                  3. We didn't want to pay for it! This is saving us thousands!!!!

#19 starchild

• Moderators
                  • 26,161 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

I'm with the fiesta in the parents' backyard crowd...lol It was casual, fun, and best of all inexpensive and carefree.

#20 seasidebride

• 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

We originally tried to rent a house and have a place for everyone to stay at and have a huge party there....that just didn't work and was more of a hastle than anything.
                      We have decided to do a big BBQ party in our backyard. My mother wanted the whole kit and kaboodle at the yacht club, but I said no and that I would have gotten married there in the first place if that is what I wanted.

I got away with it by telling her it was a Celebration not a "Reception."

But honestly it is what you want it to be. If you want it all, then heck I think you should go for it. My hubby and I aren't into it and would rather it be great food, fun and low key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users