Photo

Do babies need passports? Not sure where to post this?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pisces

Pisces
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

This seems like a funny thing to ask... but my two SIL's are both having babies this year (actually my first niece was just born a few weeks ago!). Both babies will be attending our wedding in Maui in December, at which point one will be 7 months and the other will be 4.5. Do they each need passports to get into the country? (from Canada)

I don't know if it's something I should bring up with their parents.. I know it can take quite a few months to get a passport, but in the case of the other little one, he or she won't even be born until mid-end of July.

Does anyone know?
    Colin in I in 2005 when we fell in love with Maui!

#2 Yari

Yari
    • VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

I find this on the US passport website:

Applying for Your U.S. Passport the Easy Way

Do I Need to Obtain a Separate Passport for My Baby?

Yes. All persons, including newborn infants, are required to obtain passports in their own names. For children under age 14, the consent of both parents/guardians is required.

For more information on special requirements for children under age 14, click here .

#3 EricaG

EricaG
      • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:16 AM

Babies do need a passport. My daughter has had one sice she was 4 months. We have to renew it now and we are getting our sons done as well.
        The Canadian passport they would get for the babies would be good for 3 years, and it is a fraction of the cost. I think it only costs about $23 or something. As for the one that will only be a few months old, they can write in the date that they are leaving and needing the passport, and they should behave no problems getting them. We have always gotten ours within 2 weeks of applying, but I am not sure if that is the norm!
        http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
        My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
        http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#4 beachbride08

beachbride08
        • VIP Member
        • 2,372 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

Yes, they will need a passport.
          Michelle

#5 Kryztan

Kryztan
          • 743 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

Yes they need passports. We got ours for our 4 month old at the time. I think it was like 60.00 they come pretty quick

#6 Pisces

Pisces
            • 255 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

okay thanks! I sent off a little reminder to the mom who's little girl has already arrived. I'm sure she would have thought of it, but I would hate to find out that they completely overlooked it a few weeks before leaving!
              Colin in I in 2005 when we fell in love with Maui!

#7 amym567

amym567
              • 403 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

That's great that they have so much time to get them. My niece was born on May 1st (last year), and we got married on July 5th~ they applied for it, but it didn't come yet. She had to take proof of application and her birth certificate (which my brother's fiance forgot- the birth certificate), so they ended up having to come the next day, while my brother flew out that day with some other family members. Luckily my aunt and uncle were coming the next day, so FSIL and my niece came with them.

Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users