Need help with a music idea

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kat81

Kat81
  • VIP Member
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

A lot of my guests are married. I was thinking it would be fun to somehow incorporate their first dance songs into the reception. At first I thought I would just find out what they are and randomly play them. Then I thought maybe what I would do is after our first dance song make a mix of like 45 seconds of the different songs. Maybe I could have the DJ announce what we are doing when he announces our dance. He could say And now for the couples first dance then follow it up with and after we will play an accumulation of everyones wedding songs. Please listen for your song and get up and dance when it starts then leave the floor as the next song comes up. There are only like 35 people coming so it won't be very long. I just thought it would be fun for the married couples to hear and dance to their songs. Any ideas of how to make this move smoothly or do you think it's a bad idea

#2 townie princess

townie princess
    • 298 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

Depends on how happy the couple is I guess.

If you have a couple at the wedding that's on the verge of breaking up, a reminder of their wedding might not be so great (or I could be proved wrong and it all works out!)

People are there for YOUR big day, although it is a very sweet gesture to have snippets of their songs as part of your dance.

Maybe you could do the "mixed song" later in the reception as a tribute to all of your friends?

#3 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
      • VIP Member
      • 18,452 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

i know there was a thread like this a few months back. i think the girl was going to play the songs during dinner. i'll see if i saved the thread
        ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
        Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
        Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#4 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
        • VIP Member
        • 18,452 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

here's one:
          http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t14136
          ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
          Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
          Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#5 Kat81

Kat81
          • VIP Member
          • 7,615 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

Thanks so much. I feel better now that I know other people are doing this too. I thought I was being so creative lol! I want to do it even more now.

#6 Yvette

Yvette
            • 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

I agree with Townie Princess, it could be a little weird. Esp if the couple isn't the type to dance together.

But I do like the idea of mixing a bunch together. That would be really cute.

#7 JennyK

JennyK
              • 3,502 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Maybe instead of doing a mix, you can make each slow song your DJ will play be their songs..

#8 foxytv

foxytv
                • VIP Member
                • 7,740 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

We did this, but let me tell you, we didn't even get through 1/2 of the music on our "Reception Dance Mix" CD's ... so a lot of songs went unplayed, sadly.

Our reception was 3 hours and by the time everyone was through with dinner and we started the dance music ... there wasn't a whole lot of time left. So, just keep that in mind.

Perhaps play those songs during dinner?

#9 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
                  • 4,881 posts
                  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
                  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
                  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

It sounds great! I don't know if you have a wedding website, but ours allows for a music request area (not that we are using it, but still).

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#10 Jenn79

Jenn79
                  • 625 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

A friend of mine just got married in April, and did something similar: she played her parents' first dance song and sent out a special dedication. I thought it was really sweet, and love your idea of the mix of many songs together.
                    Jenn & Timm, May 10, 2007
                    Review Pictures Pro Pictures
                    "i write to be read" Fiction by Timm Holmes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users