• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Otis1230

• 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

I have heard you have to pay now for your luggage and then I heard May 1st- Does anyone know...
    Between our stuff for the wedding and the OOT stuff- we have 5 suitcase to check in...
    Michael & Lisa
    April 25th, 2008
    Paradisus Punta Cana

#2 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

I thought it was if you purchased a ticket after a certain date. I'm also flying US airways but we bought our ticket before that rule.

Another airline just made it effective immediately so i'm not sure.

#3 JessicaM

• Vendor
      • 1,969 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

I believe it you bought your ticket before date you are okay...but if you just recently bought your ticket you have to pay an additional $25/per bag over the 1 checked back that is free.

#4 shannon

• 772 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

It's been posted on their website for a month now-- i don't think US Air is the only company that is doing it-- i hear someone else is too- though I can't remember right now... We are going to have to do some shuffling-- bc your 2nd bag is an extra $25- and your 3rd is an extra $100!!!!! So, it's not an option for us to check more than 4 bags--2 each- that means we'd each have to pay $25 for our 2nd checked bag...... ugh.
          I haven't heard that if you bought your ticket beforehand that it doesn't apply- but that would be great-- I'll be giving them a call today! :)

Here's what the website says...
          Baggage allowance

For each ticketed customer, US Airways will transport:

* 1 checked bag free of charge, and
          * 1 bag as a carry-on

Additional checked baggage

A second checked bag will be assessed a $25* fee. The new fee applies to travel on or after May 5 for tickets purchased on or after February 26, 2008.
          Checked bags

Under 50 pounds/23 kg

51 - 70 pounds/23-32 kg

71-100 pounds/32-45 kg
          First checked bag

Second bag

Third - ninth bag(s)

*Fees listed are in USD and will be charged in the local equivalent currency. Some destinations outside of the continental U.S. have additional limitations on checked baggage at specific times of the year.

The following passengers are exempt from the $25 second checked bag fee:

* All Dividend Miles Preferred members (Silver, Gold, Platinum and Chairman’s Preferred)
          * Passengers traveling to and from Europe, or to and from Asia
          * Confirmed First Class and Envoy passengers at time of check-in
          * Star Alliance Silver and Gold status members
          * Active military personnel in uniform with ID
          * Unaccompanied minors
          * Passengers checking personal assistive devices

If you're paying 10% of the adult fare for an infant to fly on a transatlantic flight, you are allowed:

* 1 checked bag with maximum total dimensions of 45 inches/114 cm and maximum weight of 50 pounds/23 kg
          * 1 fully collapsible stroller or 1 child restraint device or car seat

Carry-on baggage

You are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase, laptop or diaper bag. Carry-on baggage must be stowed in carry-on compartments of the aircraft, under a seat, or in an overhead compartment.

#5 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 9,504 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

OMG!!! Northwest just did this too! They were the last of the major airlines to adopt this policy!

Regardless of purchase date, any travel on or after May 5th is aubject to the new rates. $25 for the 2nd bag and $100 per bag therafter. AND, each piece still has to weigh less than 50 lbs!

#6 Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 6,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Delta adopted this policy as well.

#7 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

Shannon, did you buy your tickets before february 26th?

We have just about the same flight. US Airways from RDU to CUN.

#8 Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 5,752 posts
                • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

anybody know if american is going to do this?

#9 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maura
                  anybody know if american is going to do this?
                  they haven't yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. This will probably be something all the major airlines do.

#10 KellyandMatt08

• 490 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Southwest has not instituted a 1 bag limit yet... Here are their rules:

Baggage Allowance: Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.
                    Excess Baggage: Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users