Photo

Getting "married" before DW?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaR

AmandaR
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

This is probably going to sound like it's coming totally from left field, but I've been thinking us getting having a civil ceremony here in PA before our DW. I've been toying with this idea because it will mean that I will be able to start making official name changes sooner (it will probably take up to 3 months for us to get our marriage license). Do any of you have thoughts on this subject, or has anyone done it before?

Amanda

#2 Jackie

Jackie
    • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

we are secretly getting legally married a month before our DW. We wont be telling people because we dont want people to not think our DW day is not as special. To us we wont really be married until I walk down the aisle in a gown anyways.
      My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
      http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

there is lots of info about this on the forum.

be careful with your name change. Your passport has to match your travel ticket. But, I think you mean you would change it after.

#4 jmill130

jmill130
        • 601 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

Yea, I have read a lot about this, just don't change names on the passport or id and you'll be great! Good luck!

#5 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
          • Moderators
          • 25,218 posts
          • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
          • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Morgan
          there is lots of info about this on the forum.

be careful with your name change. Your passport has to match your travel ticket. But, I think you mean you would change it after.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by jmill130
          Yea, I have read a lot about this, just don't change names on the passport or id and you'll be great! Good luck!
          FYI to anyone wondering: YES, from the resident airline employee, make for darned sure you book your travel in the EXACT same name as it shows on your passport! Do NOT expect to be let on a flight without this! Airlines are not willing to pay a $50,000 fine on behalf of a passenger who "didn't know."

#6 AmandaR

AmandaR
          • 241 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely do some searching on the forum for more info. If we do decide to go this route, no name changes will be made until after the wedding. I'm just looking forward to making things official as soon as possible after the wedding. Three months after the wedding seems like forever!

Jackie - even though you're getting married beforehand, does that change how your marriage paperwork is handled at your destination?

Amanda

#7 cabobridey

cabobridey
            • 141 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

We are doing the legal ceremony before we go as well. Some people in our family know as well as some friends... but our 'official wedding date' will be the one in mexico. We are going to do it... in our jeans...very casual, a week before we leave. After we 'say i do' at home we are not going to call each other our 'husband/wife', and we wont wear our rings. Not until after we say it in mexico!

When we are old and gray, we want to remember our wedding day as the one when our family and friends were there.... our toes were in the sand.... etc etc. Cheesy? LOL

#8 dragonfly

dragonfly
              • 1,820 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

Use the search button, there is so much information to be found on this topic. Many of our members did their legal marriage before their dw.

#9 JHarwood2Be

JHarwood2Be
                • 687 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

At the resorts it is referred to as a symbolic ceremony or renewal of vows. Use the search with those 2 terms and you will come up with a lot. One advantage is that it is sometimes cheaper because of not needing to arrange the documentation and judge.
                  Photography by Tamm's Photos
                  http://www.ezticker.....aya/ticker.png

#10 Ana Cerda

Ana Cerda
                  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

We will be married before we go to Mexico. If you don't do it in the United States, it means that everytime that you need a copy marriage certificate you will have to get it from Mexico. Anyway, I believe almost everyone gets marry first and then to DW.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Asteff2001
                    This is probably going to sound like it's coming totally from left field, but I've been thinking us getting having a civil ceremony here in PA before our DW. I've been toying with this idea because it will mean that I will be able to start making official name changes sooner (it will probably take up to 3 months for us to get our marriage license). Do any of you have thoughts on this subject, or has anyone done it before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users