Photo

OOT bag waste?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 saraece

saraece
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

Tlseege-I hope you meant GUM not gun, or else you are fueling that American stereotype.
    Like our first kiss all over again

#22 Alyssa

Alyssa
    • 11,793 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by melglnh2o
      I ordered matchbooks with our names and date on them because we are having votive placecards and the matchbooks will be at each place seating but I called the airline to see if it was okay to bring them and they said no, not even in checked luggage. Of course I am going to take chance with them (I will remove the matches from the books-we have triangle shaped boxes-and pack the actual matches separately) but thought I would throw it out there in case you hadn't thought of it.
      this seems like something you may want to mail in advance to your WC. Matches aren't very heavy so it should be too crazy $$ wise

#23 Kat81

Kat81
      • VIP Member
      • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

You can check lighters in your luggage... So, if the matches wont work you can always buy cheap lighters. I think you can get them for like 59 cents a piece at some stores. One a bag wouldn't be very expensive.

#24 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

Quote:
          I ordered matchbooks with our names and date on them because we are having votive placecards and the matchbooks will be at each place seating but I called the airline to see if it was okay to bring them and they said no, not even in checked luggage. Of course I am going to take chance with them (I will remove the matches from the books-we have triangle shaped boxes-and pack the actual matches separately) but thought I would throw it out there in case you hadn't thought of it.
          Is it dangerous? If there is a good reason not to check them you might not want to sneak them by.

Abbie, teach us why.

#25 Chiquita

Chiquita
          • 2,674 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

I'm also just trying to put things in the bags people will use.. here is my list so far:

Tote bag from OTC
            flip flop sticky notes
            pens (hibiscus for girls, normal ones for guys)
            playing cards
            coin purse
            beach safe container
            chapstick
            tylenol and advil
            first aid kits
            gum
            sunscreen
            bottled water and snacks from Costco once we get there

for the kids:
            beach balls (fishies) that you colour in with markers
            water gun
            luau candy bracelet
            hibiscus temp tattoos
            bubbles

I think that's it.. we'll see if I remember more later

#26 melglnh2o

melglnh2o
            • 1,016 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Morgan
              Is it dangerous? If there is a good reason not to check them you might not want to sneak them by.

Abbie, teach us why.
              I am not sure what the rules are but American said no. I think because they are flammable (given the proper conditions). :)

I may just ship them but we shall see.

#27 Agape Gems

Agape Gems
              • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

Quote:
                I am not sure what the rules are but American said no. I think because they are flammable (given the proper conditions). :)

I may just ship them but we shall see.
                Oh my, I hadn't even thought of this... I bought cheap match books from the $1 store. Wouldn't that be just great for my cheap-o-la matches to bring the plane down! I bet most resorts have match books at the bars anyway
                See our professional weddings photos http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21339

#28 Celina

Celina
                • Banned
                • 2,811 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by twelve_piece
                  Oh my, I hadn't even thought of this... I bought cheap match books from the $1 store. Wouldn't that be just great for my cheap-o-la matches to bring the plane down! I bet most resorts have match books at the bars anyway
                  I know...but not with your name on them!! BOO-Hoo!

Well - my MIL is the one who bought them and I'll just have her take them! HA! We are flying American. On our last flight on United I took a lighter in a checked bag and no one noticed. My FI also inadvertantly had a lighter in his pocket on a flight to Vegas and got it through.

I'll let my MIL know and see what she says.

If all else fails, we can just send them to the WC and have her hold them for us. If they get lost - it's not a lot of money to lose...we'll just have to ramsack the bars supply of matches - while were having margaritas!!
                  "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#29 Dez921714

Dez921714
                  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

I too didn't want to give things that people won't use...that being said, there are a lot of things on my list (I need to stop reading these threads), but our logic is that we're asking our guests to spend thousands of dollars to come...and the welcome bags are also their favors. I have links to everything I'm listing here, so if you want them, let me know (I got most of them from this site).

- Tote bags with our monogram ironed on (with "Cancun, Mexico 2009" instead of our names)
                    - Travel Mugs with same monogram as above (we figure the bags and mugs can be re-used again as silvioneers, that's why we aren't putting our names on them)
                    - 2 travel candels per bag (we were gonna do this because all the rooms have double jaccuzzies...but the musty issue is a good reason too)
                    - Personalized Matches (with our monogram with our names on them)
                    - Saraong for the ladies
                    - Bucket hat for the men
                    - Beach proof container for $ w/compass and whistle (my aunts will love the wistle for safety) (with our monogram with our names on them)

Toiletries -
                    - First aid kit
                    - Aloe loation (12 oz...undre $1 each)
                    - Alka Setlza
                    - Advil
                    - Pepto
                    - Immodium
                    - Tissues
                    - Travel Q-tips (random, but I ALWAYS forget to pack them)
                    - Chapstick (preferably with SPF15 or higher)
                    - Shout wipes
                    - Off wipes

Fun
                    - Meracca pens
                    - Flip Flop sticky pad
                    - Shot glasses (rooms have liquor dispensors in them)
                    - Blow up beach balls

Maybes...we haven't decided yet
                    - Tee shirts (depends on how many people come and the price)
                    - Maybe blow up pool rafts if I can find them cheap
                    - Maybe flip flop playing cards
                    http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#30 azhuskergirl

azhuskergirl
                    • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by lyrebard
                      Something else that might be nice would be snacks that are local to your location. There's an incredible local chocolate shop in Playa del Carmen, for instance, that we'll be working with to supply our chocolate and possibly coffee beans. In Hawai'i, you could put in Kona coffee and/or chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Something not too extravagant, but something that brings local flavor, supports the local economy, and something your guests will appreciate.
                      We're looking for local snacks & sun products. We think it's just more personal to tie in Hawaiian products.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users