Thinking about going off the pill soon...anything I should know?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 LisaG

• VIP Member
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by FutureMrsB
    Lisa, I just saw your ticker! Congratulations!

Sorry for the hijack...
    Congrats to you too!!! I can't believe how close we are too. Soo many new mommies here!!

#32 Kat81

• VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

I just found this article.. might help you a bit
      Getting pregnant after stopping birth control - Health Topics - Medical Encyclopedia - MSN Health & Fitness

#33 Yari

• VIP Member
      • 10,928 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

I use the Target brand pre-natal. I also noticed that Trader Joe's has them, so I can going to switch when I am done with my bottle.

#34 jfwolfe72

• 433 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lizz
          Too weird...I was going to ask the same thing (in about 2 months). I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say. I've been on the pill for about 10 years, so I'm not sure what type of "withdrawal" or side effects I'll have (if any!).
          Me too!!! In about four weeks!

#35 jfwolfe72

• 433 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

After you stop taking it, how long until you get your first period? It's not right away is it, or does it come at least 28 days after you stop taking it?

#36 Jenn

• 1,557 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

Great thread! I'm not going off yet, but we're getting there. My mom had a hard time conceiving after the pill, so I hope its not genetic - lol.

After stopping, it should be about a month before you get your next period. That being said, your hormones will be off, so it may be sooner or later until your body regulates again.

#37 luckygirl

• 339 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

I asked my gyn if I needed backup when I stopped taking the pill because I thought I needed to give my body a chance to release all of the hormones from years of pill use. But she said, no. She also said that it would probably take longer for me to get pregos than last time since I will be 36 when I plan on the next one. Last time I stopped taking the pill only because I wasn't able to get to the pharmacy and didn't think that I could get pregnant since I had been on the pill for over 7 years. My daughter is now 7...and healthy!

#38 mrsmark08

• 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will be going off the pill right after our wedding (scary!) but I was wondering the same thing about going off the pill. Guess the first step is going to get those pre-natal vitamins!!

#39 Virg

• 684 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DreaW
                    so where do you get pre-natal vitamins? My start taking them now if it doesn't hurt....not TTCing yet, won't be off the pill till I'm 29 1/2

Any pharmacy, Walmart even. I love the GNC brand though. If you get a generic women's multi you will be fine, as they all have Folic Acid. My Dr told me that pre-natal vitamins are just a regular women's multi that has been repackaged and jacked up in price...

Save your money for the diapers and cute baby clothes!
                    Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
                    Made it legal : June 30, 2009

#40 chicago88

• 699 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Great info ladies... As is gets closer to me going off of it I'm getting really nervous!! But, I keep thinking it could take a month or two or 12 months or more so I do want to start trying. I'm just getting a little scared I guess. One of my biggest fears is child birth. I was in the room when my nephew was born - maybe that has something to do with it... Anyway, just venting. Thanks!!

Therese & Jay
                      Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users