Photo

Can I disown my mother in law?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 dmarie17

dmarie17
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

I know that everyone has gripes with their new mother in laws, but I'm beginning to think that we may actually have to disown my FI's mom. She is driving both of us crazy! And my poor FI is getting so upset on a daily basis because of her outrageous statements and actions. So, we are getting married in Cancun in August. Of course, she is against this from the get go. Here is a small list of her inappropriate behavior.
    1. Right after we got engaged, she asked where we were getting married (we live in Chicago and they all live in DC). I told her that we were considering a destination wedding in Mexico or Vegas. She looked at me like I was nuts and said 'NO'. Thats it. Nothing more. Just no. I was like, okay thats not a good sign.
    2. We FINALLY set our date and signed our contract at Dreams and were pretty excited. My FI called her to let her know the plans and instead of saying congrats and being happy, she immediately began listing all the people in the family that wouldn't be able to come... (a lot of these people we had already talked to and they told us they were coming so it was just a mean spirited bunch of lies she told)
    3. It's too much money
    4. It's too hot
    5. There's nothing for grandparents to do
    6. So and so can't get off of work/school
    7. You're grandparents aren't coming
    8. Tonight she called to say that it would be too hot to wear a suit in Cancun. My FI told her that it was a casual wedding and that not even the groomsmen were wearing suits, she freaked out! What?! No suits!? It's the end of the world!!
    AAAAHHHHHHH....... I just want to smack her a few times!! We are seriously considering going and eloping. Sucks that it comes down to that but it's getting old really fast.
    And yes, my FI attempted to talk to her and even wrote her a 3 page letter explaining that she was really upsetting us with all these negative phone calls and statements but it didn't help at all.
    Thanks for letting me vent guys!!

#2 Kat81

Kat81
    • VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

Screw her!! It is none of her business. If she isn't going to support you and your decisions then stop listening to her. Have him tell her that until she has something nice and positive to say not to say anything at all. I know it sucks because she is supposed to be there for the two of you but enough is enough. It isn't about her!!! GRR that makes me sooo freakin' mad!! Hugs from Texas I hope she can shut her pie hole long enough for you two to have the wedding of your dreams!!

#3 BarefootBride

BarefootBride
      • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

BLOCK HER CALLS!! SHE HAS BAD AURA!! Im feeling it way over here in japan! I say disown her! lol Just kidding!

#4 Leslie-Xcaret09

Leslie-Xcaret09
        • 939 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

I am going through the same thing right now!!!! I am so not looking forward to inlaws! FMIL is all upset because this one cant go and that one ....so frustrating when honestly its not their wedding so Im learning to think

I vented on this last night ....if you find my post...people gave me great advice. Good Luck!!

#5 Leslie-Xcaret09

Leslie-Xcaret09
          • 939 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Kat81
            Screw her!! It is none of her business. If she isn't going to support you and your decisions then stop listening to her. Have him tell her that until she has something nice and positive to say not to say anything at all. I know it sucks because she is supposed to be there for the two of you but enough is enough. It isn't about her!!! GRR that makes me sooo freakin' mad!! Hugs from Texas I hope she can shut her pie hole long enough for you two to have the wedding of your dreams!!
            LOL "I hope she can shut her pie hole long enough for you two to have the wedding of your dreams!!"

too funny!

#6 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
            • 1,565 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

there is actually a form you can sign at the court house that will legally force her to stop being rude and annoying and pretty much force her to shut the F*** up. just got there and ask for the MIL-3030.

#7 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

F her - definitely don't elope - let her miss out and be miserable - keep your chin up and remember this is about you and FI

#8 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
                • 1,798 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Wow what a pain in the ass! Good thing you are guys are taking the high road and just doing your best to just explain things to her. You are NEVER going to please everyone so why not just try to please the happy couple! Do what you want!

#9 kr3611

kr3611
                  • 127 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

It sounds like you did the right thing writing her a letter. Just remember it doesn't matter what she thinks...it's about you and him. That's all that matters.

#10 Saraha

Saraha
                    • 2,597 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

she is obviously trying to make you guys changes minds about what you are doing with this wedding. Dont change a thing, she probably wants to get a rise out of the two of you.Continue to have the wedding of our dreams with or without her!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users