Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:57 AM
Photographers ARE really expensive, but here's why.
Consider how many hours of work goes into your wedding.
1. 2 hours of consultation Pre-Wedding
2. 4-6 hours Travel to get to Destination, plus the days they are away from their studio where they could be shooting portraits or working with other paying clients. Lots of lost income here.
3. 2-3 hours Scouting Location: looking for the best places to photograph your wedding
4. 6-8 hours coverage on your Wedding Day
5. 2 hours TTD Day After Wedding
6. 4-6 Hours: Travel getting home
7. 1-2 Hours: Downloading and backing up 4000-5000 images.
8. 40 + Hours: Editing and retouching your 500+ files to make you look gorgeous
9. 10 + hours Album Design
10. 1-2 Hours Consulting with You to Choose Images and narrow down to 200.
11. 1-2 Hour Prepping and uploading Files for the print lab, burning discs.
12. 1 hour to package and assemble your prints for delivery.
And this is a conservative estimate.
TOTAL HOURS: 74-85
And you are paying them less than $5000 for your coverage and album?? That album costs them about $500-700 to produce (hard cash). That means they get $4200 in their pocket. That's $55 an hour before taxes to do a job that requires constant education, incredible training, facility overhead, and not to mention the wear and tear/depreciation on their equipment, plus all their marketing costs, employee costs, taxes, legal fees, membership associations, cost of goods etc.
The top wedding Photographers ($8-10,000 per wedding) make at the most about $20-30 per hour. Photogs at the lower end make less than minimum wage! So when you say it's expensive, make sure you really evaluate what your getting and what that photographer has to spend (time and money) to make your wedding the most beautiful event ever. Is it worth it to you? And when you take into account a photographer who is EXTREMELY talented and you KNOW you are going to get the images of a lifetime.....Food for thought.
Most wedding photographer do the job because they LOVE it. It is their passion. Photographers will bend over BACKWARDS for brides who appreciate what they are doing for them and are willing to pay their worth.
FYI: I know a lot of wedding photographers since I work in the photographic industry.