Photo

Any one else NOT changing their last name?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 nenamono

nenamono
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

I know its a matter of personal opinion...but...I never pictured myself changing my last name. My mother hyphenated hers but 99% of the time she continues to use her maiden, maybe its that or maybe its my feminist side taking over. I just cant picture changing my name, the name I've always had, the one everyone knows me by or doing something that my FI would never consider doing himself in return. He got really bent out of shape about me keeping my maiden name and after the argument I was fully insulted that he wouldnt even consider changing his to mine. Thats right my feminist side took over big time but I have every right to ask of him what he is asking of me.
    Im curious is there any meaning behind changing your last names personal or otherwise?

#2 BarefootBride

BarefootBride
    • 1,266 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

I'm changing my middle to my maiden name. But I LOVE my last name and really isnt excited about changing it.

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

I'm changing mine because I've never been fond of my last name. Also, my mom has a different last name than me so I don't have much of an attachment to it. Mike has a great last name. It is a little weird to me that in 4 months I'll be called something else.

#4 shellb

shellb
        • 533 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

I am waffling on this subject. I seem to change my mind about once a month between hyphenating and keeping my own. I like my last name and to me the only Mrs. H. is my FMIL. We did have the discussion about would he change his name if he was in my position. He was offended I would even ask him to consider and then realized the decision is not an easy one for me. He's OK with me keeping my last name. I am still not sure about what I am going to do.

I do have a friend that he and his wife combined their names to make a new one so they had a piece of each others last name.

#5 nenamono

nenamono
          • 282 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

Ive heard of couples combining their names and couples changing their middle names to their maiden names like Barefootbride is doing.
            I think we would have a pretty odd sounding last name if we combined I cant come up with anything that sounds good. I can barely pronounce it properly LOL.

#6 Yari

Yari
            • VIP Member
            • 10,928 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

I am going to take his name on. I agree with Morgan it is going to be weird being called a different name. But I am excited about it.

#7 Michelle&Steve

Michelle&Steve
              • 208 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

im still debating what to do bc im in medical school... i might keep my last name for my professional name, and take his last name socially.. not sure how thats gonna work yet, but some girls at school did that.. otherwise when applications for residency go out, it gets too confusing... maybe ill just hyphenate it.. luckily my FI doesnt mind, so its up to me what i want to do
                "Woohoo!! Time to get married!

www.steveandmich.com

86 booked so far!!!http://tickers.Ticke....9414/event.png

#8 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Michelle&Steve
                  im still debating what to do bc im in medical school... i might keep my last name for my professional name, and take his last name socially.. not sure how thats gonna work yet, but some girls at school did that.. otherwise when applications for residency go out, it gets too confusing... maybe ill just hyphenate it.. luckily my FI doesnt mind, so its up to me what i want to do
                  is it hard to change before you graduate? I'm getting a phd. Luckily I don't have any papers yet (except for one that isn't a big deal) so changing now won't be a problem professionally.

#9 h&a

h&a
                  • 321 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

I'm still not sure what to do... ideally I would hyphenate, but FI and I both have difficult last names (both to spell and pronounce) - so hyphenating would be a nightmare. FI has offered to take mine - we're still really undecided... I do think, though, that it will be nice for us to both have the same last name as we want children eventually and it will make it so much easier if we all have the last name.

#10 shelleyf

shelleyf
                    • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

I love this question. I am another that loves my last name, but the man is very old fashioned, and would like me to change it.

My alternative - maybe naming my first kid my maiden name, it would work for either a boy or girl...

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users