#21 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starchild
    Easy killer! haha...yes a gift is a gift and I was also raised not to question it or speak about it...lol I would never say anything but thank you to someone who gave me a gift because you never know why they chose it for you - money, what they thought you like, or giving you a bad gift just to spite you (sadly I know that happens too). But I sure can think it :P

Gosh this lady at my job gave me patchouli body oil & incense as a secret santa gift one year, and I hate that smell!!! She's all "Once you said you loved patchouli so I knew this was for you when I saw it" and I know I didn't say I like that stuff, it gives me a lump in my throat...but I thanked her just to be grateful. What was I supposed to say "No, you were wrong. That smells like ass and I won't use it" LOL How akward is that?
    Yeah, I can totally see that point too. I'd rather get nothing at all than something that's insultingly cheap. I once had a friend give me an ugly shirt & say "I thought it was pretty ugly, but I figured you wear it."

#22 Rachelle E.

Rachelle E.
    • VIP Member
    • 4,116 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

yeah, that's the thing...I think it's more about WHO is giving it and what spirit it was given in. I've received some crazy and ugly gifts in my day....but some of them were from people who I know really, truly meant well and were genuinely trying to be nice. However, when someone obviously re-gifts or buys you something you KNOW that they know you hate...that's just rude on their part. Personally I'm never one to say anything in those situations, I belive firmly in being gracious - even when the other person isn't. But you can sure gripe about it later w/ DH! lol!!

#23 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Morgan
        Yeah, I can totally see that point too. I'd rather get nothing at all than something that's insultingly cheap. I once had a friend give me an ugly shirt & say "I thought it was pretty ugly, but I figured you wear it."
        Nice! In other words, I don't like your style and wouldn't be caught wearing this, but since you dress like that you may as well have another ugly shirt. What kind of backhanded gift is that? LOL People are so funny!

#24 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by starchild
          Nice! In other words, I don't like your style and wouldn't be caught wearing this, but since you dress like that you may as well have another ugly shirt. What kind of backhanded gift is that? LOL People are so funny!
          Exactly! But I never would have worn it. I wasn't that tacky.

#25 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 24,768 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

honestly, for me ...

1) i probably wouldn't know the difference, and
            2) wouldn't care if i did!

like someone said, a $7 bottle of wine is sometimes better than the $30 - and honestly not sure if i could tell the difference anyway. i'd just be happy to try a new wine!

well, damnit, now that i think about it, i wouldn't be able to drink it right now anyway so i'd be mad that they brought me wine and i couldn't drink!

#26 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
            • 5,248 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

The price wouldn't bother me. What bothers me more is when someone brings a bottle of wine to your home as a hostess gift but then they proceeed to drink the entire thing themselves.

#27 Christine

Christine
              • VIP Member
              • 21,514 posts
              • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
              • Wedding Location:Napa, California
              • LocationReno, NV

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

we actually took a $7 bottle of wine to my bro's for Christmas, my DH loves the wine (and is a self-proclaimed wine snob) but to him it was just a bottle to take for dinner. My brother is also a wine snob but they all enjoyed it. I agree its more about the person who brought and whether or not they were being cheap in the thought process or if they just actually like that wine.
              Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#28 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
              • 11,659 posts
              • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by StephanieMN
              Yeah in the "real world" that wouldn't sound snotty but sometimes this forum is a little too "puppies and kittens" about some stuff.
              ...what is this supposed to mean?

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
              Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
              Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
              Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
              sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
              Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#29 gkashmira

gkashmira
              • 1,962 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by host
                Ha! I am only laughing because I was literally thinking the same thing? What DOES that mean? Seriously. I literally don't know.

I have to admit I don't mind when people bring wine to a party and then open it. If it's like a b-day or something and it's an actual gift then that's one thing. A lot of time peeps parties say to bring something to drink!

Also I have to admit that I love wine - cheap wine, middle priced wine, expensive wine... and about a year ago my favorite wine was (and i still enjoy and drink it btw!) a bottle of Chianti by Gabbiano. Most of the time it's about $12.99 and sometimes when you're lucky it's on sale for $8.99. I guess my point is that some delicious wine comes in low priced bottles and I am happy to drink it or receive it as a gift. yum!
                Kashmira & Dan
                Happily married since June 16, 2007
                http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
                Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
                Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#30 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by host
                  I'll take a stab at it. The way I interpreted it was that sometimes on the forum we always side with the forum member. If they say they are mad about something, we tend to take their side. So if someone says "doesn't suck to get cheap wine?" we'd be more likely to say "yeah, that blows."

I can't wait to see if I was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users