Sign in to follow this  
Alipires1

How to decide where to get married?

I feel like this is the biggest decision. How do you decide where to get married? My MIL refuses to go if it is more than a 4hr flight. She also refuses if we have to take a connecting flight. I live in South Jersey, so I am limited to Bermuda, Bahama (come on pretty mama..jk), DR, or Western Mexico/Riviera Maya. I want an all-inclusive and his sister wants to bring her kids. Any suggestions? woot2.gifwoot.gifwoot2.gif

I loved Jamaica, but my friend did Jamaica last year and I feel like if I am going to ask people to pay all of this money we have to go somewhere different. Am I wrong?

welcome! i'm from nj too, but my flight will be considerably longer. i originally wanted atlantis in the bahamas, but it's SO $$, and not ai...what about dreams in riviera maya?

I'll look there. I looked at the Dreams in Punta Cana, but there are so many different reviews. I am jealous of you. I wanted to do Eastern Mexico because I have really curl hair and they say there is less humidity there. So I will probably end up looking like Monica from "Friends" on that vacation episode! Oh well!

Can you just leave MIL in Jersey and go where you want? J/K that's probably not what you want to do.....lol Scour the RM and DR sections here, there are lots of good reviews and info that may help you. My experience is limited in those regions, but best wishes in planning :o)

welcome3.gif to the forum! I'm getting married in Jamaica, so I'm not much help with other locations; but there are tons of girls here that can help. Happy planning!!!

Sounds like you have enough locations to pick from that you can find a great place. DR & mexico are going to be less expensive than your other choices. There is tons of information about those places on this forum. It feels overwhelming at first, but after a few weeks on the forum it becomes much easier to pick a place. Atleast that was my experience. The first month of wedding planning was a little crazy.

well, my initial response is that this isn't about your MIL ... it's about you and your FI. but because you're new, I'll go easy and spare you my thoughts about how I really can't stand people that impose their wants on the bride and groom and how I think those kind of people are just selfish and think the world revolves around them. :)

so since I am not doing that (heehee), i've got to think there's a location that meets all MIL's requirements (blech). the girls on here are so helpful - i'm sure we can find something!

I will go with the advice that Ann just gave you, your wedding is you and your FI! You will find a lot of info around, so let us know how we can help, and Welcome to the forum!!!

There are SO many resorts in the Riviera Maya region and it seems to typically be cheaper than the rest of your options. I would start your research there.