Jump to content

Photo

Tipping Etiquette?


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#11 rodent

rodent

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

    Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

    Do you tip your TA? I imagined I'd write a nice, personal thank you card & send some pictures from the wedding. All the time we spend chatting while planning the trip, we are becoming friends. I still need to figure out who to tip & put that in the budget. I will definitly tip the WC, waitstaff & bartenders if they do a good job. From what I've read in reviews they are usually very nice, but if they didn't seen to really care about us, I wouldn't feel compeled to tip. I tend to think of tips as saying thank you to someone for doing above what their job requires.

    #12 *JillD*

    *JillD*
    • Sr. Member
    • 5,112 posts

      Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

      lets see....we had 2 servers and a bartender for our wedding, we gave them each $20. There was one server that was fantastic, Sergio, he was running for us all night, I think a couple of other people also tipped him.

      My photographer & photographers assistant were not the owners of the studio, but there was no way I could tip them because DH was already fuming about how much we were paying them (which wasn't really that much in comparision to others photography budgets) however, my dad ended up giving them each $20, so that took that off of my hands, thank god!

      My WC I was unhappy with before I even got to mexico because of some issues. She did a great job with the wedding and I started to think I should give her something, but then I didn't see her again the rest of the night after we got back from pictures. This really bothered me because I thought she should have at least stuck around for awhile and come and ask me how everything was and make sure we were happy. So she ended up with no tip.

      Throughout the week at dreams and the other week at EDR we tipped certain people. We had our favorite bartender at EDR that we saw every night, so we gave him $5 I think most nights, and then $20 at the end of the week, he took good care of us.

      Room service people we would give a couple dollars, everyone was so nice, you just wanted to tip everybody, but we would have been poor by the end of the week had we done that.

      #13 twinkletoes

      twinkletoes
      • Sr. Member
      • 2,302 posts

        Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Heidi
        I have absolutely no idea...I haven't even thought about that!

        Off topic...did you hear back about ROR

        Heidi - Nope, I havent heard back yet!!!!! We've been contemplating back up plans! At this point, I think it may be time to start looking at another island or changing the date. decisions, decisions
        2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

        #14 Smelikai

        Smelikai
        • Newbie
        • 48 posts

          Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

          We always tip most of the staff at resorts. For our actual wedding we're paying a 15% service charge, so we don't plan on tipping extra. Hmmm...now that I think about it, I wonder if the staff even gets that $$$? We might have to rethink that. I'm sure our guests will tip the bartender, since they don't have to pay for any drinks. We'll probably send our WC a present or some flowers to her office. We don't plan on tipping the D.J or the photographer. Our officiant is a friend, so we're paying for his room and giving him a gift. I'm sure we will tip Claudia who is the events organizer at FA. She has been awesome :)

          #15 Can'tHardlyWait

          Can'tHardlyWait
          • Member
          • 812 posts

            Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:01 PM

            I have actually already tipped my WC's and my wedding is still 6 months away! FI tipped them both when we went down to our site visit because he knew I would be a crazy person when it came to communicating and getting things done, and he wanted to make sure they were on top of everything.

            Also, you should check your wedding contracts (if you have one). I am pretty sure that mine has a gratuity included for bartenders and waiters. If I am totally making that up and it isnt included, I will tip the bartenders and waiters.

            Smelikai - some of my vendors told me that the "service charge" is tax, so maybe check with your WC... and let me know!

            #16 DLyteful

            DLyteful
            • Member
            • 879 posts

              Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by twinkletoes

              Heidi - Nope, I havent heard back yet!!!!! We've been contemplating back up plans! At this point, I think it may be time to start looking at another island or changing the date. decisions, decisions
              Hey, sorry to jump in but are you having trouble getting your confirmation for the ceremony date you picked on the website? If so, I had that problem and I have an email address to a lady whose at the Riu head office that was very helpful. (If thats not the issue, sorry for jumping in).

              #17 DLyteful

              DLyteful
              • Member
              • 879 posts

                Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

                OK still

                Try emailing
                Graziella-Vesta
                Director of Marketing Operations
                +52.984.877.23.27
                gvesta@riu.com

                I had a problem getting the confirmation for the date of my cermony. Now I remember you were having a problem getting the date 8-8-8 and Carolyn told you there was a time open. If Carolyn has not returned your emails yet I would email Grazilla. She responded to me with 1 day and I had my confirmation that same day. Its worth a try.

                #18 Smelikai

                Smelikai
                • Newbie
                • 48 posts

                  Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Galit
                  I have actually already tipped my WC's and my wedding is still 6 months away! FI tipped them both when we went down to our site visit because he knew I would be a crazy person when it came to communicating and getting things done, and he wanted to make sure they were on top of everything.

                  Also, you should check your wedding contracts (if you have one). I am pretty sure that mine has a gratuity included for bartenders and waiters. If I am totally making that up and it isnt included, I will tip the bartenders and waiters.

                  Smelikai - some of my vendors told me that the "service charge" is tax, so maybe check with your WC... and let me know!
                  No actually we're being charged 15% service, and a 10% VAT (which is the tax)

                  #19 coreyphil

                  coreyphil
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 497 posts

                    Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

                    So glad you posted this thread ... there are a few old threads that I've read on the subject, but I'm still undecided.

                    I have been really, really happy with my WC. But we're already paying her a pretty large fee. I believe that there is also a "service charge" that we pay per person for her coordination services for the reception dinner. SO - I'm thinking a small nice gift and note would be a better idea ... I would also like to do something small for the hotel owner who has been wonderful!

                    Is 15 to 20% standard in Cabo for spa services / hair or make-up stylists /etc?

                    I know that I've read that Cabo is pretty "Americanized" - so I'm wondering if that's the typical rate. We've never been before.

                    Also - there is a 'set-up / delivery fee' for my wedding cake - does this serve as gratuity as well?

                    I completely agree that tipping should be discretionary, not expected. I was disappointed to read some of the reviews that told about room service asking for their tip, etc. I know that weddings are big business in Cabo, however, that is all the more reason to provide excellent service!

                    #20 twinkletoes

                    twinkletoes
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 2,302 posts

                      Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:08 AM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by DLyteful
                      OK still

                      Try emailing
                      Graziella-Vesta
                      Director of Marketing Operations
                      +52.984.877.23.27
                      gvesta@riu.com

                      I had a problem getting the confirmation for the date of my cermony. Now I remember you were having a problem getting the date 8-8-8 and Carolyn told you there was a time open. If Carolyn has not returned your emails yet I would email Grazilla. She responded to me with 1 day and I had my confirmation that same day. Its worth a try.
                      Thanks! I'll give this route a try :~)
                      2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users