Photo

Tipping Etiquette?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

I did a search on this subject, but wasnt able to find anything. So sorry if this is already another post!

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone tipped or planning to tip certain people during your wedding and/or vacation. For instance, do you tip the minister/judge? The wedding coordinator? Wait staff?etc If so, how much?

I would hate to give them a tip and then the person feel insulted. I guess what I'm asking is what is the customary average? Does it depend on what country you're in?
    2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#2 chicago88

chicago88
    • 699 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

I was thinking I would probably tip the minister, WC, DJ, & the waiters?

I have no idea how much though

Therese & Jay
      Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
      http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

#3 Tammy1958

Tammy1958
      • 60 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

I tipped the Wedding Coordinator but did not tip the Judge. I also tipped the waiters who served everyone at our reception. I guess it is a matter of who you feel most deserved to be tipped.

Tammy

#4 Heidi

Heidi
        • 2,642 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

I have absolutely no idea...I haven't even thought about that!

Off topic...did you hear back about ROR
          Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#5 foxytv

foxytv
          • VIP Member
          • 7,740 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

We plan on tipping the WC and reception staff -- but not the minister, since it's a non-legal and they already charge $400.

We are also bringing sacks of $1 & $2 bills to tip the maids, bartenders and anyone else who is deserving throughout the week (in the DR, it seems $1 goes a long way towards good service and general appreciation).

We are also bringing extra Travel Mugs and trinkets to give as tips.

Do we also tip our photog (I'm bringing mine and paying $4000)? Anyone I'm forgetting? Our TA -- does she get a tip or gift or something?

#6 foxytv

foxytv
            • VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

Here are some clips from articles I found online:

Tipping customs vary from country to country. It is advisable to inquire about tipping with the international tourism board representing the country you'll be traveling in. Simply ask for information about tipping customs and social expectations. You will also want to discuss gratuities with your travel agent or planner. Some travel packages include gratuities in the total cost, some leave that to the guests, and some even discourage tipping (usually because they have built it into the total package price) Be sure to discuss this with your travel planner. This is from: Destination Wedding

http://honeymoons.about.com/b/2007/07/10/tips-on-tipping.htm

http://www.lovetripper.com/mailbox/tipping-all-inclusives.html This link lists some Jamaica resorts that have a strict "no-tipping policy."

#7 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 10,366 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

I voted not sure yet, we haven't even begun to this about this yet...

#8 Wisco4

Wisco4
                • 666 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

Good subject to bring up! I agree with some of the others and say that it depends on how happy you are with the services performed. I think we'll definitely get our TA and WC a gift of some sort. Any ideas on that?
                  ~Amanda

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

This has come up a few times on the forum. People have said that the custom is if the person is self employed (photographer, etc) you don't need to tip. Several photographers said they don't expect tips, but they do like hearing how much the person enjoyed their pictures.

#10 Spazz

Spazz
                    • VIP Member
                    • 10,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

I haven't really thought much about it yet, but I guess I will tip if they do a good job. Probably the WC, minister, waitstaff, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users