Photo

How important is reception length to YOU and YOUR PARTNER?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 megthomson

megthomson
  • 258 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 5, 2014
  • Wedding Location:The Beach!
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hey all! I wasn't quite sure where this topic would go, so I will likely post in another thread as well. My fianc© and I are currently discussing the length that we would like for our reception (ie length of liquor and dj/music services). We would like a private area either poolside et cetera. However it seems like most packages include only three hours of service. This usually brings people to 10:30 PM. Then everything comes down in terms of reception set up. In my opinion it seems like people would definitely want to party way past 1030. What is your opinion about how important a longer reception is? Do many of you plan to go to the resort club to party after 1030? Or will you be extending the reception because you really want more time alone with your reception party? I've heard that some resorts have some great clubs which could be an option if we could get a large group in. I'd love to get some feedback on this. I don't know a whole lot of people who have done DW's so it's great to see what other couples prioritize with regards to reception! - Katie xo :)

Our cocktail hour is from 6-7 and then reception 7-10. Afterwards people can continue at a club to go dancing some more.

#22 REP

REP
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

three hours is good for me

#23 Make2dayAmazing

Make2dayAmazing
    • 164 posts
    • Wedding Date:February 21, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe Tropical
    • LocationDominican Republic

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

We are going to go with the 3 hour reception included in our package, then head to the lobby or disco for those who still want to party the night away :)

#24 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
    • 2,217 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
    • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

the hotel we've chosen so far only offers 3 hours but we are planning to pay for an extra hour. I believe it's about $15/pp extra for the hour. At least for me the dancing at a wedding is the most important part of the reception (this is something we've had to compromise with FH). I don't want to be rushed and I want to be able put my own music. Then we're also going out with whoever wants to join us! 

event.png

#25 kellisbaby

kellisbaby
    • 238 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 12, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Excellence Punta Cana
    • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Do people ever plan... nothing?  I am a cheapskate and wondering if I can get away with an ipod/speaker for our first dance and then just hang out with our guests and have fun.  After the alloted "reception" ends, WE go find some fun.  I've heard Monday nights is Dominican Republic night at our Resort (Excellence Punta Cana) and I'm hoping we can just crash that arty and I can save a ton of money.

Thoughts???

#26 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
    • 2,217 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
    • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Do people ever plan... nothing?  I am a cheapskate and wondering if I can get away with an ipod/speaker for our first dance and then just hang out with our guests and have fun.  After the alloted "reception" ends, WE go find some fun.  I've heard Monday nights is Dominican Republic night at our Resort (Excellence Punta Cana) and I'm hoping we can just crash that arty and I can save a ton of money.

Thoughts???

Yeah we're going with the Ipod and not getting a DJ. I find that 3 hours is really little time to get everything done. Mind you we're latin and dancing is #1 priority at weddings. It's basically a lame wedding if you have little or no dancing. We can't really pay for more than one extra hour of reception so we'll just go and party somewhere else and for those who want to stay at the hotel after the wedding that's fine too. 

event.png

#27 malyna

malyna
    • 346 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 14, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Excellence Playa Mujeres

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

I think if the wedding was in the states, the reception time is really important but at a resort it would be easy to gather everyone and just say "let's meet up at the nightclub afterwards"

#28 1BeachBride

1BeachBride
    • 288 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 21, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium Bavaro Resorts & Spa- Punta Cana, DR
    • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Doing dinner/reception then havingg a beach after party for 2 hours. It will be late so our parents & older guests will prob crash. Younger guests will join us in the club/lounge/bar for more fun. We like to PARTY hard.

#29 MrsSheppardToBe

MrsSheppardToBe
    • 128 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 5, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Ocean Coral & Turquesa
    • LocationRiviera Maya

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'm doing a 3-hour private reception from 7-10pm.  Dinner/Speeches will be from 7-8:30, and dancing until 10pm.

#30 tygrrlily

tygrrlily
    • 831 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 19, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Beach Palace in Cancun, Mexico
    • LocationToronto

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

We're planning on extending ours for 3 hours haha. Ours comes with 3 hours (1 hour cocktail, 2 hour reception), but that's way too short for us. Our friends love to dance too, and we want our wedding to be a blast. We're only allowed to go to 11, so I can see us heading somewhere after that even, but we want to have a solid 5 hour reception so we can do dinner and toasts, but still have a lot of time to dance

Doing dinner/reception then havingg a beach after party for 2 hours. It will be late so our parents & older guests will prob crash. Younger guests will join us in the club/lounge/bar for more fun. We like to PARTY hard.

a beach after party sounds incredibly awesome! Did you have to pay a lot extra for that? set up fees and such?

Edited by tygrrlily, 20 May 2014 - 08:11 AM.

Married December 19, 2014 at Beach Palace Resort in Cancun, Mexico

My Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...-resort-121914/

My Wedding Review

Part 1 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881197

Part 2 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881590

Part 3 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users