Photo

Mermaid/Trumpet Brides: How Tight Was Your Dress?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

I just came back from my first fitting and absolutely love, love, love my dress (and my seamstress). I requested that it be made a little tighter at the hips, but she said that if she brought it in any further, I'd have a hard time sitting down (which makes sense); however, while standing, I feel like the dress looks a little lose around the hip area and doesn't put as much emphasis on the mermaid sihouette as I woudld like. It's not super loose, but it's not hugging my hips the way the rest of the dress does.

Anyway, I left my appoint not 100% loving how it looks around my hips and I feel like I'll be standing 80% of the time anyway - who needs to sit, right? If you wore a mermaid/trumpet dress, how tight was it? Any problems with sitting, if so did you really care? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Feel free to post photos.

Thanks!!

#2 UMassRN007

UMassRN007
    • 230 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 18, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Now Jade
    • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

Ahhhhh i was having this discussion when getting my dress too!!  I have a mermaid style as well, and the one I tried on was pretty tight, but I liked that the fabric wasn't bulging or loose in weird spots. The bridal consultant also suggested that when the dress comes in that I "let it out" a little bit so that I can sit. But you're absolutely right, i am only going to need to sit for our meal and that's it, so why not just keep the dress the way I like it??!  

The shape and back of my dress is very similar to this, and I love how it is so snug in the hips, and like you said, really shows off that mermaid shape.  Although I have a love/hate relationship with Kim K, I'm sure she didn't give a damn whether she could sit or not lol

So exciting that you had your fitting though and that you are still in love with you dress!!  I would say get it fitted the way you want it so that you're feeling 100% Amazing on your wedding day!!

#3 Jenn963

Jenn963
    • 200 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Good question!!! interested to hear the feedback on this....I also have a mermaid dress with a lace up back....I LOVE how it looks all tightened up to give me that real mermaid silhouette but I want to be able to breathe! lol and dance and eat.  The consultant says to just lift it a bit when I want to sit.....I think mine will have a little room ...my first fitting is not until July...so we'll see how it feels then :) 

#4 Kassi22

Kassi22
      • 135 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I just had my wedding and wore Allure 8915. While it’s not a true mermaid to trumpet, it is a drop waste and is fitted tight. I left a little room in the hips, butt but I will say that sitting was a little challenge. I had to maneuver around to get comfortable and I couldn't really bend (Also because of the boning). Posing for pictures was a little challenging as well. So I can’t say for sure with your dress.. but I think you  may not want it as tight as it can go… though… again.. its only for a few hours! All depends on if you want look, or comfort :)

#5 tarynh86

tarynh86
        • 151 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2015
        • Wedding Location:dreams punta cana
        • Locationontario Canada

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

Mine isn't a mermaid but it's s drop waist and I found it hard to sit in. I don't have my final fittings for awhile so we'l see@

#6 Chrysta

Chrysta
        • 169 posts
        • Wedding Date:January 10, 2015
        • Wedding Location:NOW Sapphire - Cancun
        • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Mine is also a little loose in the hips. I haven't met with the seamstress yet so im interested if they will keep it that way or not......Thanks for brining that up =0)

#7 tygrrlily

tygrrlily
        • 831 posts
        • Wedding Date:December 19, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Beach Palace in Cancun, Mexico
        • LocationToronto

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Good question! I LOVED the way I looked in some of the severe mermaids - but I could barely even walk much less sit haha. But looking in the mirror and seeing what looked like a small waist and nice round hips was very flattering. I found the ones with the corset back the most flattering but uncomfortable. I ended up going with more of a trumpet which I find a lot more comfortable

Maybe you could have it laced up super tight for your ceremony and pics, then loosen it a bit for your reception?

Married December 19, 2014 at Beach Palace Resort in Cancun, Mexico

My Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...-resort-121914/

My Wedding Review

Part 1 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881197

Part 2 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881590

Part 3 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881861

#8 Tatimrivera

Tatimrivera
        • 156 posts
        • Wedding Date:October 10, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
        • LocationEither lobby or lazy river

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

My dress is form fitting to my body (as if made only for me lol). I would not say it is tight because I can dance and actually walk in it (I tried several in a similar style that I penguin walked).
        Good Luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users