Photo

DIY Sand Ceremony Frame

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 jszy10

jszy10
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hey girls!!  I just wanted to share my DIY Sand Ceremony Frame with you in case any of you are loving the frame idea for your sand ceremony but don't want to spend $60+ to get one!!!  This was the issue I had.  I knew I wanted a frame for my sand ceremony, but I couldn't find any under $50-60, and I just couldn't bare to spend that much for it.  Sooo I decided to go to AC Moore and see what I could find to try and make my own. 

I found a black wooden 8 x 8" shadow box frame for less than $10 and thought it would be perfect!  I brought it home and immediately had FI drill a hole in the top, because that was the part I worried the most about.  Once that worked out, he caulked the glass to the frame from the inside to seal it tight.  I then took a glue stick, covered the edges of the picture all the way around and glued it directly to the glass.  Once the picture glue dried, I put the cardboard box (originally for the shadow box look) back in, followed by a flat cardboard back, and FI caulked around the box to seal the back as well.  We will be using a small funnel to ensure the sand goes in evenly  and I will be taking a small bottle of glue with me to seal the hole before we head home. 

As far as the vases are concerned, I believe I purchased them at Michael's for less than $2 a piece.  All in all, I spent less than $15 to make this frame, and I think it will end up looking just as great once its all said and done!!  As far as the sand is concerned, we are using orange sand purchased from AC Moore and actual natural sand from Mexico so that we can bring back a part of where we were when we were married!

I hope this helps encourage those of you who are thinking about making a sand ceremony frame to actually try it out!!  If you have any questions PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!!!

and finally....the picture! (and I do have to apologize for the quality, its just a cell phone pic and has a bit of a glare :oP)

sandceremonyframe.jpg

#2 Sharon99

Sharon99
    • 1,301 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

Great idea! Love the idea of the picture being included in the sand frame & the price is perfect!!!

#3 to be mrs scuba

to be mrs scuba
      • 131 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

Great job, so creative

#4 DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl
        • 710 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

Awesome job!! I've been having trouble finding the umbra espresso picture frame. I may have to DIY it. Thank You! :)

#5 anna524

anna524
          • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

this looks amazing!!

#6 Samantha88k

Samantha88k
            • 244 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

How did your frame turn out? And how did it look when you got home?? I'm trying to visualize how to do this because it is such a fabulous idea!!! :)

Originally Posted by jszy10 

Hey girls!!  I just wanted to share my DIY Sand Ceremony Frame with you in case any of you are loving the frame idea for your sand ceremony but don't want to spend $60+ to get one!!!  This was the issue I had.  I knew I wanted a frame for my sand ceremony, but I couldn't find any under $50-60, and I just couldn't bare to spend that much for it.  Sooo I decided to go to AC Moore and see what I could find to try and make my own. 

I found a black wooden 8 x 8" shadow box frame for less than $10 and thought it would be perfect!  I brought it home and immediately had FI drill a hole in the top, because that was the part I worried the most about.  Once that worked out, he caulked the glass to the frame from the inside to seal it tight.  I then took a glue stick, covered the edges of the picture all the way around and glued it directly to the glass.  Once the picture glue dried, I put the cardboard box (originally for the shadow box look) back in, followed by a flat cardboard back, and FI caulked around the box to seal the back as well.  We will be using a small funnel to ensure the sand goes in evenly  and I will be taking a small bottle of glue with me to seal the hole before we head home. 

As far as the vases are concerned, I believe I purchased them at Michael's for less than $2 a piece.  All in all, I spent less than $15 to make this frame, and I think it will end up looking just as great once its all said and done!!  As far as the sand is concerned, we are using orange sand purchased from AC Moore and actual natural sand from Mexico so that we can bring back a part of where we were when we were married!

I hope this helps encourage those of you who are thinking about making a sand ceremony frame to actually try it out!!  If you have any questions PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!!!

and finally....the picture! (and I do have to apologize for the quality, its just a cell phone pic and has a bit of a glare :oP)

sandceremonyframe.jpg

#7 Cdunn514

Cdunn514
              • 186 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Thanks, I was trying to think of how to make one of these for myself!

#8 jszy10

jszy10
                • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Well, I sort of sabataged it myself lol  I thought it would be a nice touch to use sand from mexico, and I didn't even think to realize that real sand has coral pieces in it lol...so mine clogged at the ceremony because my funnel was too small. hahaha....nice memory to have, we will definitely laugh at that for years to come.

Having said that, we did finish it back at the room and it came out perfect :o)  It traveled great because I kept it in my carry on bag and made sure it stayed upright.  If you buy the sand, you definitely won't have any problem at all!!  If you are worried about the traveling, stuff the top with paper until you get it home.  Once your home, make sure you give it time to settle.  You may need to add more sand before you 'plug' it up.  My father put a wood plug in the top and used wood putty to even it off and then he painted it black.  You can't even tell it use to have a hole in the top!

Originally Posted by Samantha88k 

How did your frame turn out? And how did it look when you got home?? I'm trying to visualize how to do this because it is such a fabulous idea!!! :)

#9 jlarruda

jlarruda
                  • 201 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

I just bought the same vases from Michaels yesterday and I ended buying a white frame from walmart, fiance already drilled a hole at the top but I haven't figured out how I'm going to go about gluing it yet.  Bought our sand at hobby lobby.. I think our total is definetly a little less than $20

#10 jszy10

jszy10
                    • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

Yay!!!  We caulked the glass to the frame from the inside, and then caulked the cardboard around the back to hold the seal.  I would definitely go the caulking route for sealing it shut.  We used a basic elmers glue stick to stick the picture to the glass.  Good luck!!

Originally Posted by jlarruda 

I just bought the same vases from Michaels yesterday and I ended buying a white frame from walmart, fiance already drilled a hole at the top but I haven't figured out how I'm going to go about gluing it yet.  Bought our sand at hobby lobby.. I think our total is definetly a little less than $20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users