Photo

Canadian Birth Certificate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 J and G 2012

J and G 2012
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Does anyone know for sure if Canadians have to get the long form of our birth certificate to get maried in Jamaica? I've read a few places that they have to have your parents information which is only included on the long form.

Thanks!

Jamie

#2 Cassie South

Cassie South
    • Vendor
    • 97 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hi Jamie

To answer your question regarding the marriage requirments in Jamaica, you do indeed need the long form of your birth certificate. In order to get married in Jamaica you must provide proof of citizenship in the form of a certified copy of your birth certificate which includes your father's name. Unfortunately the wallet sized birth certificates most people carry around don't have their father's names on them at all. On a positive note, when getting married in Jamaica you DO NOT need to get a blood test as you would if you were marrying in Mexico or many other parts of the Caribbean. So while it may be a little more of a hassle to get your long form birth certificate just remember the other hassles you have avoided by choosing the location you did! :)

Hope this helps, goodluck with everything.

Kielah- Blue Petal Destination Weddings

#3 J and G 2012

J and G 2012
      • 423 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thank you Keilah!

I guess I'll apply for it now to ensure it's here in time!

#4 Lua

Lua
        • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

My hubby and I were married in Jamaica this past april and DID NOT need a long form of our birth certificates (I've never heard of that actually) all we needed were the notarized copies of our wallet sized birth certificates along with notarized copies of our passports.  All that extra work is not needed!!  We've since recieved our official marriage certificate and it's all legal here! :)

#5 celticgirl

celticgirl
          • 266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

Ask whoever is marrying you, we are getting married in January and we will need our long form! Good Luck

Breezes Trelawny- Jamaica
            January 7th, 2012

63 booked

#6 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
            • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

We are getting married at Couples Sans Souci, and I did not need the long form. Just the wallet size was okay.  My documents have already been sent and approved.

I would contact the resort you are getting married at and confirm with them!

July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#7 JayKay

JayKay
              • 3,472 posts
              • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
              • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
              • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

According to our resort we either needed to get our passports notarized by a notary public or have certified bith certificate (the long form).  I think its a bit different each place so check with the resort you are marrying at.

#8 bride6262

bride6262
              • 582 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

good to know!

Originally Posted by Lua 

My hubby and I were married in Jamaica this past april and DID NOT need a long form of our birth certificates (I've never heard of that actually) all we needed were the notarized copies of our wallet sized birth certificates along with notarized copies of our passports.  All that extra work is not needed!!  We've since recieved our official marriage certificate and it's all legal here! :)

#9 Mrs. LowUFO

Mrs. LowUFO
                • 110 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:39 AM

Neither my husband or myself had the long form - just the small wallet size card and we had no problem getting married at CSA.

#10 bride6262

bride6262
                  • 582 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

thanks! puts my mind at ease

Originally Posted by Mrs. LowUFO 

Neither my husband or myself had the long form - just the small wallet size card and we had no problem getting married at CSA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users