It is really overwhelming! I thought I could wait as well, and when I started reading this site, it kind of lit a fire under my a$$! lol! I narrowed it down to a couple of resorts and contacted them about booking wedding dates and found I actually didn't have a whole lot of options. The resort we went with is now booked solid, we get married in April of next year, thankfully I got a date I wanted We also wanted to give people loads of time to think about it and save up for it if they needed to, plus a lot of people plan out their holidays and since they need to take a week off, they needed more notice. When we spoke with travel agents, we also found it really difficult to find a group rate/package that would allow people to pay in full closer to our wedding, one of the carriers only had 29 seats left on the plane out of Ottawa. So all that being said, if you have picked out a resort and know when you want to get married, keep calling the resort to secure your date You can then at least tell people when it is for planning purposes. Good luck!
Originally Posted by newbiebride
I'm Ashley, I am new to this site. We just set the date for June 1, 2012. I planned on sending out the save the dates in January, but from reading everyones posts it seems I am a little behind on doing this. Can anyone suggest a good time frame to send the STD and how far in advance we should send out the invitations? We are planning our DW in Mexico, and we have the resort picked out, but have not been able to get ahold of the WC to book the wedding. My FI thinks we should wait until closer to 2012 to book the resort, what are your opinions on this? I am a little lost on where to start the planning. Please help!