Thoughts on using generic medicine in hangover kit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tross84

tross84
  • Banned
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

So we've been working on our budget, not that buying name brand medicine will break the bank but being the frugal fannie that I am seeing the cost savings is killing me.

Is it tacky to put generic medicine in the hangover kit?

#2 JPenny

JPenny
    • 102 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

I don't think it is at all. It all does the same thing anyways.

#3 KCB2011

KCB2011
      • 308 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I agree, I don't think it is a problem at all.  I got our "imodium" from Costco and I got the Costco brand and they are actually better than getting the name brand stuff because each box comes with 14 punch out packs of 6 pills each for about 10 bucks compared to double that for the name brand!  I agree with you, it's not that its a crazy amount of money, but 40 bucks is 40 bucks!

#4 bmadzia1

bmadzia1
        • 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hate to be a party pooper, but I don't think any medicine is a good oot bag insert.  I think you should have a big bottle of advil or something, and if someone has a head ache, offer one.  Looking at it from Medical field view, you're not a doctor, so you shouldn't be dispensing  meds :(

Generic or brand name..

#5 bmadzia1

bmadzia1
          • 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

Sorry, I shouldn't assume you're not a doctor - just saying.....

#6 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
            • 521 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

I think the generic is fine- save a buck when you can! I also think it's very thoughtful... lots of times you see med boxes in many office facilities which is why you see a lot of the "industrial" packs of meds in even your local office supplies store. As long as they're OTC I don't see a problem with it at all. Your guests will be grateful!

#7 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
              • 521 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Also, just personally, I’m a nurse and although I know it’s cost efficient to just buy a bottle of meds to give some to those who need it, I’ve always been leery of it when I see some people do that. It’s really not ideal to be giving people meds that they’re not opening themselves… even as a nurse, we pretty much open oral meds in front of the patient so they can actually see what it is, then give it to them to take. Individual packets of OTC meds just seem like a better choice to me.

#8 NikkiT1021

NikkiT1021
                • 210 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

I'm a nurse too and I completely agree.  

And I wlll probably be putting generics in my bags too.  It's cost effective and if people really need it, I don't think they'll care one bit if they're getting Ibuprofen as compared to Motrin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenDiva 

Also, just personally, I’m a nurse and although I know it’s cost efficient to just buy a bottle of meds to give some to those who need it, I’ve always been leery of it when I see some people do that. It’s really not ideal to be giving people meds that they’re not opening themselves… even as a nurse, we pretty much open oral meds in front of the patient so they can actually see what it is, then give it to them to take. Individual packets of OTC meds just seem like a better choice to me.

#9 BeachBridein11

BeachBridein11
                  • 610 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

As long as it's still individually wrapped and not just thrown in a baggie, I say you're good to go.

Originally Posted by tross84 

So we've been working on our budget, not that buying name brand medicine will break the bank but being the frugal fannie that I am seeing the cost savings is killing me.

Is it tacky to put generic medicine in the hangover kit?

Married in Paradise!!

June 17th, 2011

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

#10 KCB2011

KCB2011
                    • 308 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

I agree, as long as they are over the counter meds then I wouldn't really consider them as being "dispensed" - but definitely want to make sure they are packaged individually.  I think it is a nice addition because a lot of people don't think to bring imodium, tylenol etc. and if they needed it, I think they would go buy their own (expensive) instead of tracking you down to get some.  I think getting the big bottle would work best if you had a very small, close group with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users