All inclusive or not? Which is more cost-effective?

Rmarino222

After reading through hundreds of posts I am so confused about whether or not to book my wedding at an all-inclusive resort.  It seems to me that it costs a significant amount more for my guests to book at an all-inclusive.  Looking at places like the Dream hotels, it will cost around $500 per person (for 4-5 nights) and that's not including airfare, where staying at a small boutique hotel (like La Amada) will only cost $170 per night and that can be divided up between how ever many people are staying in the room.  Plus, it doesn't make sense to me why i would have my guests pay for an all-inclusive plan when i am going to be paying for the cocktail reception and dinner the day of my wedding ceremony, plus a dinner (or sunset cruise or something).  And since breakfast is included with most hotels, it means the guests will only be laying out money for drinks during the day and lunch.  Is it really that much more expensive when all is said and done to do a wedding at a hotel that is not all-inclusive?huh.gif  Am i missing something?  HELP PLEASE, I'M SOOOO CONFUSED!!! 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi welcome to the forum! I think you will find that many brides choose their hotels for various reasons. Sometimes going for a boutique hotel can be more cost effective than an all-inclusive...depending on which all-inclusive it is. Sometimes the fact that guests are paying one price and everything is included (restaurants, activities, etc) works out cheaper for those choosing an all-inclusive. It depends on the hotel its amenities and what is more important to you. Some brides don't like boutique hotels cost effective or not. It really all depends on what you want and what works for you, your budget and your vision. Guests may get a cheaper room rate staying at a boutique hotel but is there a restaurant on property? Are there activities nearby? How much will those activities cost? What about transportation back and forth....an all inclusive usually offers everything right there on property with no need to go off property at all. My wedding will be at a boutique hotel. I didn't want a large resort. I didn't want to be boxed in to having my wedding at a certain time because there would be other weddings scheduled that day, my vision was something intimate and private. I have stayed at all-inclusives and love, love, love them, but for my wedding I wanted something different. First try to define what you are looking for. If cost is your major concern both all-inclusives and boutique hotels can satisfy that so beyond that what do you envision. 

Rmarino222, we went back and forth on the all inclusive thing too but ultimately decided on La Amada. We are throwing a welcome dinner for all of our guests on the Friday night and the wedding is on Saturday. Like you said, since breakfast is included with the room everyday, that only leaves lunch and drinks by the pool that our guests have to pay for if they are just coming for the weekend. The rates at La Amada were so much less than those at the all inclusives we looked into, that I am not really sure how this couldn't be the most cost effective option for our guests.

We do have some guests staying longer, some as long as a week, so for them an all inclusive may have been cheaper but the majority are only staying 2-3 nights.

Tami

One other thing I think you should factor in to your decision:  what kind of guests are coming to your wedding?  Do they like to eat and drink a lot and could therefore end up running up a high bill at a non-all-inclusive?  Do they not drink much and would therefore not get much out of the included alcohol at the all-inclusive?

I am doing All inclusive in Jamaica. the time of year we are getting married is expensive for flights and the one time I went to Jamaica non all inclusive we spent a fortune. I gave my guest other option of hotels too. So I have a couple of guest I will need to get day passes for. I think it all depends on what your guests like to do, where the wedding is, and what time of year it it. Most of my guest are staying 2 weeks so it works out very well for them.