Is it safe to go off resort in Dominican Republic? Photo Souvenier Photography

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 GVphotographer

• 2,664 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Puerto Los CAbos

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Welcome to this great forum, I´ve been in Dominican Republic several times and of course is not dangerous, there are places where you should not go, but like everywhere. Congratulations on your wedding!!

#12 luciel2820

• 474 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

I'm Dominican and I was born and raised in NYC also known as one of the most dangerous cities in the US.
    First of all be smart no woman should be by herself in a place she does not know.
    Second yes I've also heard about people getting mugged in the DR but I hear it happen here in NYC ALL the time and it's never happened to me.

If you go out with Photo Souveniers you will be fine. I have heard great things about them and they know there way around Punta Cana and will not take you to a place that isnt safe.

Just have an open mind and be smart.

#13 luciel2820

• 474 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

& regarding the vendor fee, just contact your resort and ask how much it costs for a day pass for the photographers.

#14 mlabbe

• 784 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

I went to the DR before and left the resort. We did the trip to Samana and to the capital. We walked around the old part of town by ourselves and felt perfectly safe. On the drive to anywhere, I never saw anything that caused me to think that it would be unsafe - but I did see about a million things that I thought would make for amazing pictures. Locals aren't stupid - they don't usually cause trouble for tourists because all the $$$ comes from the tourists. As well, you're not heading out by yourself or in the middle of the night. Yes, you might feel out of your element based on how often you've traveled, and they are much less wealthy than you are, but it's worth the venture out.

#15 khomac

• 380 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

I'm a little biased because my husband is Dominican :)

I say do it! You won't be carrying any valuables on you anyway if you're doing a photoshoot. When you're with a local who speaks the language and has many friends in the area, you can rest assured that you'll be fine. They'll probably bring you to some AMAZING locations and I think it'll look great with you and your husband all dressed up with the true Dominican in the background.

Go for it, and be sure to post lots of pics!
          Kelly & Pablo

Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#16 Nicyx

• 2,914 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hello, congratulations and welcome, EVERYONE here are so helpful and friendly, Im sure any questions you have or advice you need will be fully answered before you know it!!!!

Happy Planning x

#17 AlexsBride

• 401 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

I lived in the DR for over three years, as a single girl in my 20s and never once felt in any kind of danger. You are perfectly safe to go off the resort to get your photos done AND they will likely know of some nice places to take you.

Dominicans are poor but they are not out to hurt you. You won't be taking a large wad of cash with you on your TTD shoot, so they wouldn't be out to rob you. And the guards with the shot guns at the resort, they are really just for show to be honest! The guard where I lived had a gun and never even had any bullets in it!
              Mom to two beautiful girls, Izzy and Delilah and about to marry their Daddy! :)

#18 natalie1987

• 201 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

Congrats and welcome to the fourm:) Yes I heard it was!

#19 L&LFlores

• 168 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

Welcome, you will find many great ideas on this forum.  Congrats! 

#20 AshleyL

• 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

I visited DR last January for a friends wedding. We did do some excursions off site and i didn't feel like I was ever in danger. The thing to remembers that it's a very poor country and I know that was the toughest part for a lot of our group.
                    Getting married in Runaway Bay, Jamaica February 2011!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users