Photo

DIY STD postcard AND INVITE (updated!)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 coolashellmel

coolashellmel
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

After looking at lots of STD's and invites, I knew what I didn't want but, couldn't figure out what I really wanted! We were running out of time (wanted to send them 1 year in advanced), so my fianc© and I being the hip-artsy types we are(but, I’m not an artist! I can’t stress that enough!) I just couldn’t see us doing anything embossed and wordy. I wanted something simple and a little more “us”. We are both huge fans of comic art and wanted to try to achieve that in our STDs.

I checked out you tube for “cartoon tutorials” and basically taught myself how to use a photograph in Photoshop, and trace over it to create a cartoon. There are several ways of doing this, I did the not-so-perfect way because I liked the way it looked better. Then with the magic of layers, my fianc© made the original photo disappear and made the background striped with our wedding colors (I didn’t really know how to do that). We downloaded “futuristic” fonts from Click the image to open in full size.

The only negative feedback I’ve gotten so far is that my fianc© “looks like Santa” (He’s blond!) and that I “look like a zombie”. HAHA! Whatever, can’t please everyone! I think they look great! Although my nose looks a bit weird and we have no pupils…

I am going to do our invitations the same way, so we have a theme. I was thinking of having those be long and skinny with a tri-fold, the response card could actually be attached at the bottom with a perforation, so then people could tear it off then mail it. Does that seem cheesy to anyone? I would LOVE some feedback!

PS. Everyone is really great on this forum!
    -MEL

#2 vlynnw

vlynnw
    • 6,003 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

very cute idea!
      Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#3 JENISE

JENISE
      • 652 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Very cool! Congrats!

#4 AishaB

AishaB
        • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

Very original and unique. Great job! I do agree with the Santa comment!
          BDW the best place for my TYPE A personality!

#5 coolashellmel

coolashellmel
          • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

whoops! just realized I probably should of posted this in the DIY forum, sorry mods!
            -MEL

#6 Thomasjsgirl

Thomasjsgirl
            • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

The creativity on this site never ceases to amaze me! Those are so cute and talk about original!

P.S. may-be you can "color" FI in a bit so he looks less like Santa, and why not throw in a few pupils for the two of you while you're at it!
              Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
              Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
              http://bestdestinati....24-08-a-35102/
              Leftover Wedding Items FS:
              http://bestdestinati....g-stuff-56124/

#7 autjo

autjo
              • 2,182 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

Super cute Mel! I love dafont and that little sombrero dude rocks! I do agree that if you use the cartoons in other stuff, fill in FIs hair with a blonde color and give you guys some pupils :) Having a theme makes it so easy for people to remember things about the wedding. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Also I love the idea of having the RSVP cards attached to the bottom of the invite. We perforated our RSVP cards and people thought it was so professional looking and fun.

#8 lizconemac

lizconemac
                • 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

They look great! You're so creative!

#9 mlabbe

mlabbe
                  • 784 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

Very cool! I love how original they are. And I can't believe that this only took you 1h! You work way faster than I do :P

#10 A_J_Mitchell

A_J_Mitchell
                    • 252 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

Great job, they are very cute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users