Jump to content

Photo

How do you incorporate extr veggies in your diet>


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 MrsV-to-be

MrsV-to-be
  • Member
  • 554 posts

    Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wisco4
    That sounds good! I forgot I also make chicken lettuce wraps where I use a ton of vegetables. Dice or shred some cooked chicken then mix it up with finely chopped celery, green onions, water chestnuts, red bell peppers, peapods, cabbage, bok choy, etc. Mix with a little bit of bottled light or fat free asian dressing (i like seasame ginger) then spoon into large lettuce leaves. Albacore tuna works well in this recipe too.
    nice idea! I love ordering lettuce wraps at restaurants - but never crossed my mind to make my own!

    #22 Wisco4

    Wisco4
    • Member
    • 666 posts

      Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be
      nice idea! I love ordering lettuce wraps at restaurants - but never crossed my mind to make my own!
      Yeah, and it's so easy. You can also mix some cooked rice in with the veggies so it'll be more restaurant style. I do like to refrigerate it and eat it cold too.
      ~Amanda

      #23 1elephant

      1elephant
      • VIP Member
      • 15,998 posts

        Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

        i LOVE zucchini...we slice it up, spray it w/ pam, put some garlic salt on it and grill it....during the winter, i slice it REALLY thin, add some salt and bake - it's like zucchini chips!

        we also eat a lot of stir fry...we put some hot sesame oil and soy sauce and mmmmmmmmm. :)

        #24 Amy&Andy

        Amy&Andy
        • VIP Member
        • 3,405 posts

          Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

          Oh speaking of lettuce wraps. If you guys live near a Safeway they have a new line of foods called "eating right" that makes really good frozen lettuce wrap mix. It's in the frozen meal section and is only like 70 calories per wrap. It comes with the chicken mixture and these little crunchy rice things. All you add is the lettuce cups and then I make a really good peanut sauce to drizzle on them:
          *2tbs creamy peanut butter
          *1/4 cup of really hot water
          *soy sauce to taste
          *Siracha sauce (the red squeeze bottle "cock sauce")
          *red wine or rice wine vinegar (usually add about two cap fulls)
          *sesame oil (about a cap full)

          Start with the peanut butter in a mixing bowl. Add a bit of hot water a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients to taste.....so easy.....so tasty!

          #25 Wisco4

          Wisco4
          • Member
          • 666 posts

            Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by amy&andy08
            Oh speaking of lettuce wraps. If you guys live near a Safeway they have a new line of foods called "eating right" that makes really good frozen lettuce wrap mix. It's in the frozen meal section and is only like 70 calories per wrap. It comes with the chicken mixture and these little crunchy rice things. All you add is the lettuce cups and then I make a really good peanut sauce to drizzle on them:
            *2tbs creamy peanut butter
            *1/4 cup of really hot water
            *soy sauce to taste
            *Siracha sauce (the red squeeze bottle "cock sauce")
            *red wine or rice wine vinegar (usually add about two cap fulls)
            *sesame oil (about a cap full)

            Start with the peanut butter in a mixing bowl. Add a bit of hot water a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients to taste.....so easy.....so tasty!

            That sauce sounds delish. Too bad we don't have Safeway around here. I don't even know what that is...a grocery store?
            ~Amanda

            #26 Amy&Andy

            Amy&Andy
            • VIP Member
            • 3,405 posts

              Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Wisco4
              That sauce sounds delish. Too bad we don't have Safeway around here. I don't even know what that is...a grocery store?
              Oh yeah.....I forget it must be a WA state deal. My bad. Here I got ya'll drooling. However that peanut sauce is alwasy a hit.....everyone always asks me how I make it. It's good on all sorts of stuff....brocoli, green beans, rice, chicken satay........

              #27 RaydensMama

              RaydensMama
              • VIP Member
              • 2,861 posts

                Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

                I sneak them in sometimes with baking. Like if I make cake or something I use apple sauce instead of all the sugar, or Ill add pureed veggies into pasta sauce. I find it you hide them its easier to get some people to eat them. But personally I love vegetables!!

                #28 Spazz

                Spazz
                • VIP Member
                • 10,482 posts

                  Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Wisco4
                  That sauce sounds delish. Too bad we don't have Safeway around here. I don't even know what that is...a grocery store?
                  Safeway is called Genuardis on the east coast (at least around Philly) and they carry the "Eat Right" line.

                  #29 PVBride

                  PVBride
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 443 posts

                    Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

                    A few veggies I like are:

                    - Veggies dipped in hummus
                    - Steamed broccoli and cauliflower w/ melted cheese on top
                    - Celery w/ Peanut Butter

                    I also put loads of veggies into spaghetti sauce and on top of my pizza.




                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users