Update on Jack, the pup

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Martha

• VIP Member
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

He tested positive for Coccidia this evening.
    My heart is so sad....I feel so bad for the little baby boy. I hope his immune system is strong and that he is a big trooper!

This is a definition of Coccidia (I had never heard of it):
    What are coccidia?
    Coccidia are small protozoans (one-celled organisms) that multiply in the intestinal tracts of dogs and cats, most commonly in puppies and kittens less than six months of age, in adult animals whose immune system is suppressed, or in animals who are stressed in other ways (e.g.; change in ownership, other disease present).

In dogs and cats, most coccidia are of the genus called Isospora. Isospora canis and I. ohioensis are the species most often encountered in dogs. Regardless of which species is present, we generally refer to the disease as coccidiosis. As a puppy ages, he tends to develop a natural immunity to the effects of coccidia. As an adult, he may carry coccidia in his intestines, and shed the cyst in the feces, but experience no ill effects.

What are the risks?

Although many cases are mild, it is not uncommon to see severe, bloody diarrhea result in dehydration and even death. This is most common in animals who are ill or infected with other parasites, bacteria, or viruses. Coccidiosis is very contagious, especially among young puppies. Entire kennels may become contaminated, with puppies of many age groups simultaneously affected.

#2 cessyboston

• VIP Member
    • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

oh no does not sound good will he be okay?we need to pray for him.......
      Married oct 10th 2008 ~ proud parents to Miss Sophia Emma feb 2, 2010

#3 dragonfly

• 1,820 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Oh Martha I am sorry, hopefully he has a fighting spirit. Keep us posted.

#4 AmyInMI

• 547 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

Does he have parvo and coccidia? If I remember correctly, Abby, one of our Labs got coccidia when she was young also. I think she came from the breeder with it, but who knows, which sounds like the case with Jack. With antibiotics and lots of fluids, Jack should be just fine. I am wishing him the best!! I hope he gets feeling better soon!!
          Amy & Aaron
          May 10, 2008
          Dreams Tulum, Riviera Maya, Mexico

#5 MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 10,366 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

poor little guy, I will keep him and you in my thoughts...

#6 Martha

• VIP Member
            • 3,906 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thank you ladies. I feel like Debbie Downer!

Yes, coccidia AND parvo! Poor baby boy!

He had to have gotten it from the breeder...from what I read the coccidia has an incubation period of about 13 days.

I am SO frustrated and sad for him.

#7 LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 24,768 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

we're all pulling for little Jack ... he's a fighter ... he'll make it!

#8 tvt

• VIP Member
                • 4,812 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

awww that is soo sad keep us updated on his progress. we'll be thinking of him!

#9 -Kate-

• VIP Member
                  • 7,676 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

With this whole forum pulling for him I know Jack will be just fine!!!

#10 Lizzy

• 501 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

Martha, little Jack came into your life for a reason. I pray he sticks around and fills your heart with the kind of love only a pet can.

For the dance, at the reception, Maggie wore her crinoline and a lovely lace top. Looks like Tadd likes it!

Professional Photography by Michael B.www.michaelbstudio.comMinneapolis, MN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users