Is it best to have same material for BM dress as the bridal gown?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SDbeachgirl

• 393 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi all!

I have a question and want to get everyone's opinion on this. I have purchased my wedding gown. It is taffeta and has rosettes but no beading or rhinestones. I am considering the following charmeuse bridesmaid dress from Jordan

Jordan 644

I have heard from a couple of people that it is better to have the same material for the bridesmaid dresses and the wedding gown. I have also heard that it doesn't matter. The Jordan dress is not super fancy so this may be an exception, but I just would like to get everyone's opinion.

I was going to try and do a POLE but not sure how that works.

#2 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

hey I don't think it really matters. I really like these bm dresses though. I think it looks a little better to have different fabric than your own gown also.

#3 *Nadine*

• 5,466 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

yah I agree with Jess. My dress is a metallic tafetta and my girls dresses are silk/chiffon from jcrew. The bride is supposed to stand out, isn't she :)

#4 kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,921 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

You can do whatever you like... you are the bride afterall!

#5 NaM

• 2,256 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

I can't say I've even heard of the matching thing to be honest. I say: pick a dress you like for yourself and pick your BM dresses. Who is really going to notice and/or point out that they are different material??

#6 TheFutureMrs.Sears

• 734 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

I have never heard of your bridesmaids dresses matching the material of the brides...so I say go with whatever you like and whatever is flattering on your girls. Keep in mind charmeuse is very unforgiving.

52 booked + The Bride and Groom!!!
              http://i69.photobuck....s/DSC02673.jpgMe and my Bridesmaids at my Bachelorette Party on a Roof Top with Manhattan in the background.

#7 Gr8ful

• 155 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

I don't think they need to match from a material standpoint, but they should have the same general feeling -- i.e. If you are going to have a big ballgown wedding dress, your BMs shouldn't be in casual sundresses (although who knows, maybe that would work). I love how your BM dresses look and although I can't see what your dress looks like, they both sound like they would go together.

#8 IrishgirlinNY

• 938 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

I agree that the dresses should be the same feel, but the material I don't feel matters. I am wearing my mothers dress and I have no idea what material the dress even is. Whatever you & the bridemaids like, that is what you should go with. It is your day!

#9 Melidell

• 1,091 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'm glad that you posted this, because I was wondering the same thing. I kind of figured it didn't matter, but it's nice to have it confirmed. I'm not going to worry about what kind of fabric my MOH picks out at all now!
                    Loving married life!

#10 YaelM

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 5,369 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

I dont think it matters at all!! Actually even my bridesmaids didnt wear the same material :) I let them pick their own dresses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users