wedding bands

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lab1988

• 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

my fiance and are talking about what wedding bands
    to buy i suggested the platinum. he disagreed and said he would prefer to have white gold intead. my parents' had white gold and i dont like it because scratches had been visible unlike the platinum my aunt wears. which do you think is better?

“Jewels are the gift of fortune, while character comes from within.”
    Silver Pendants| Silver Rings

#2 merocket59

• 937 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

At first FI didn't want the same as me and I looked it up, I guess it is more common than i thought for a couple to have different metal bands, so that's an option.

#3 NaM

• 2,256 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

I agree that you both don't have to wear the same unless you'd really just prefer it.

Honestly though, my ering is platinum and it is equally as scratched as my white gold band. I know it is supposed to be more scratch resistant but...it really hasn't been.

#4 *Lo*

• 2,993 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

My e-ring is platinum and is pretty scratched on the bottom where i hit it on things. however we are definitely not getting matching type bands so just get what you want and let him get what he wants!!!

#5 smith3576

• 290 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

Platinum scratches. But it is easily buffed out (unlike white gold, I think). Also, platinum does "fade" - white gold has to be "redipped" every once in a while.

I don't think it matters if they are different.

He could also consider titanium or tungsten or something like that.
            We're married! Jamie

#6 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

platinum actually scratches more than white gold....my platinum band is pretty scratched up on the bottom

if you want something that doesn't scratch at all for him - go with tungten carbide. It is a lot less expensive and won't scratch at all

#7 shankd

• 272 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

the problem with tungsten is that, if by some bad luck the finger is crushed, the ring CANNOT be cut off, the finger will have to be......it is a bad thought, but happens.

#8 sportsdog2

• 87 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

My ring is platinum and holding up pretty well. My band will be platinum but his will most likely be white gold or Tungsten. He would prefer platinum, but the cost is so much more and he has been known to lose just about every ring he has ever purchased! We have no problems with rings of different metals; it's a personal preference.

#9 MayaLove

• 369 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

As others have said, you two don't have to wear the same metal. You can have your platinum and he can have his white gold in the same style if you want them to be identical. :)

Also wanted to say that most ERs are able to cut tungsten rings off. :)
                    Jenna & Chris
                    Soon to have a lifetime supply of donuts.
                    My BDW Blog

#10 *Nadine*

• 5,466 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

yah platinum is a much softer metal than white gold and therefore scratches way more easily. Depending on the karat of white gold you get, it might have to get re-dipped eventually.
                      My FI and I will have dif metals as well so I dont think that matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users