The nerve of my sister in law!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jenv

• 169 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

so i got in engaged in august and we've decided to get married feb 2011. we also decided that if we were going to have an engagement party we were going to do it next summer.
    my sister in-law has taken it apon herself to have an engagement party only giving our guest about a months notice. normally that would be fine but the problem is that my family and friends live in ontario and my fi and i and all of his family live in calgary. what really makes me angry is that my sister in-law has the nerve to ask my mom to pay for half of the party. i am so mad since she is inviting about 50 people and out of that 50 i only have about 8 people coming for me!!!!
    the problem with this whole thing is that i'm not allowed to know about her asking my mom to pay....
    i am so mad since my parents first have to pay to fly out and then she has the nerve to ask my mom to pay since it is her party she is hosting!!!
    sorry just needed to vent!!!!

#2 bride2b10

• 320 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

wow I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any way you or your mom can politely explain that you were planning to have your party next summer so that your friends and family can attend and 30 days is just too short of notice?

21 Booked + Bride & Groom!!!

#3 SusieQ

• 1,603 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Gotta love the SIL from hell.... I think if I was hosting the party it would be my wallet that would be open and I would say "this is your engagment gift". Just weird not to... i had an baby shower for a friend and I paid for everything... It was my gift to her and her baby. I did chip in $10.00 towards the stroller, and her Aunt bought dessert from her bakery. I am sure the shower was much cheaper than your party however that is her brother and this gal was my friend. Common sense!!!!!!!

#4 Preciousmi811

• 342 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

She's got alot of nerve!!! And to think she hit up your mom to pay for half within a months notice? Ugh I swear is their like a secret organization where future sister in laws band together to cause problems? Because they sure are banding on my end too to pull crap like this! I feel for yah.
          One Love

ClubHotel Riu Negril May 14 2010 wedding date. Anyone want to share a photographer? I am flying my photographer out regardless, if you want to split travel cost let me know!!!!

Password: 12345http://gs105.photobu....are_email_albuhttp://tickers.Ticke...m/ezt...b2f9...

#5 jenv

• 169 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

thanks ladies!!! somy mom has talked to her and said that she would like to keep the sending to as less as possible since my mom and dad do have to pay $400 dollars to come to calgary . my mom has also suggested to make as much things at home and she is more then willing to do that instead of platters already made.
            i also think it should come out of her wallet if she wants to have it. my fi has said he'll pay for it if it comes down to it. i said there is no way were doing that since we don't even really want the party and it was her idea.

#6 sunset78

• 1,280 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Man, oh, man. You definitely get all sorts of types of people when it comes to wedding stuff. Your mom shouldn't have to pay for a party she wants inviting her people only pretty much.

#7 Melidell

• 1,091 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Nice! Thats like sending out invitations saying "you are invited to my party... and btw, would you mind helping me pay for it too?" She sounds like she want all the kudos and glory of hosting a party, without the hassle and expense that come with it. I'm glad your mother told her no!
                Loving married life!

#8 Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 6,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

I wish someone had offered to throw me an engagement party. Maybe she's trying to do something nice.

#9 flbluiiis

• 184 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

Wow... are you sure she isn't from my FI's family? Hopefully it will all workout and you'll be able to have fun even though it started with some drama.

#10 juliepfeif

• 286 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Wow! That seems so rude. I mean, it's nice that she offered to throw the party, but if you don't want to pay for it, don't offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users