Sign in to follow this  
jackobelle

Cuba & the D word...

I don't like thinking about this as I am planning my wedding, but I do want to be smart about thing, as one never knows what the future may bring.

A TA told me that we should get married in Canada first in case we get a divorce one day and that we would have to go back to Cuba to do that?

Is this correct? And should it be something we seriously consider? My FI and I have been together 7 years, but I guess you still never know.

What do you all think?

That is not a fact, you get a divorce in the country you live in, not in the place you were married. Your marriage is recognized as legal in Canada and it therefore can be ended in Canada. Its true of any country you get married in, if Canada considers it a legal marriage, it is the same as if you got married here. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, it was when I was calling around to different TAs for quotes, and one of them told me that. She said we better get married here first. But one of the (many) reasons we chose Cuba was it doesn't require much paperwork, and we wouldn't have to get married here first! We didn't end up going with her anyway! Thanks again for clearing that up. I wonder where she got that information from huh.gif

Yikes imagine if that were true? Cuba is super easy (from my experience) with respect to paperwork required for the legal ceremony. Now I'm just waiting for the marriage certificate...!! Only 3 more months I think :)