Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gail

advice needed- should I move location

Recommended Posts

Our wedding is June 11, we are leaving on 5th. Many guests are expressing concern, I just called CDC and as of right now they are just saying to avoid nonessential travel to mexico. However, she told me to "keep in mind it is spreading and growing rapidly".

I am sick as we all are. should I try and move to punta cana or jamica while there is still timehuh.gif

Of course, all my planning, dj, photographer is gone- but if I wait there may now be anything at all.

 

Please give me some advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have been reading it and watching cnn and cdc guidelines. But, it's to early to know what will hapeen in next month. So do I move now so wedding not cancelled altogether of take chance on that not happeninghuh.gif??

 

I am a nurse and understand the scientific end of it, but lets face it- our guests will listen to media!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

Here is my two cents:

 

I think there is likelihood that the swine flu situation will settle down and you can salvage your wedding and all of the planning you've done.

 

We had no choice but to move our May 7th wedding. It was very challenging to move it to the first week of June because of availability issues. You can imagine that many, many brides are having to relocate their weddings. The longer you wait to move your wedding, the more difficult it might be to do so. I contacted a popular Jamaican photographer and he said he is being inundated with requests from displaced Mexican brides. The longer this goes on, the harder it will be to find available resorts and vendors.

 

If I were in your shoes, I would probably sit tight and wait. I really wanted to keep my wedding day and all of the planning I had done, but I was forced to cancel because my airline cancelled their flights. If this had not happened, I would be in Mexico!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with sgbrown - I would sit tight. I know my wedding isn't until July - so I'm not in the same boat as she is, but I think this is all worth waiting out. I know it's really hard not to panic, but remember that so far, not nearly as many people have been sickened by this flu as who are by the normal flu every year.

 

It doesn't seem like there is much chance of the US/Mexico border being closed, and honestly, if it does continue to spread, you'll have as much of a chance of getting it here as you would in Mexico. Besides, there has been no flu activity in the Riviera Maya yet, that I'm aware of! The only thing that is going to stop me from going is if they close the border. Which I don't think will happen.

 

The media is really sensationalizing all of this. I've just been trying to keep my guests in perspective by reminding them that this flu thing could go either way! I've talked with my TA who agrees there's no reason to cancel or postpone our trip, and there have been a few brides who are down in Cancun/Riviera Maya right now and have posted that everything is fine!

 

I've started avoiding some of chitter chatter about the swine flu because it has a tendency to make me start panicking...and then I have to put myself back in perspective again. I'm just sticking to the news! Remember to keep all this in perspective, and I think you'll be fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gail: Our wedding is May 24 in PV. We also considered changing the location (for about 5 seconds), but FI & I didn’t want to go thru the hassle and possible stress associated with changing everything.

 

We had one couple cancel on us and we completely understand. Not sure if others will follow, but at this point I can't think or stress about it, because it's something that is completely out of my control....

 

What do you feel like doing? Since you have a bit more time than some of us, maybe you should do a cost comparison and a list of pro and cons of changing the locations. For us it would had being more expensive to switch things, especially with the cost associated with changing the guest hotel and plane tickets... I’m not sure is the guest or the bride and groom would pay for that?

 

Not sure if this help, but keep us posted on what you decided.

 

smile03.gif to you!

~Susana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wedding is June 12 and i am in the same boat as you.... I think I am going to wait it out. I did contact Punta Cana and inquired about June 10, 11 12 and 13 and let you know what I hear back from them. For not it is just a waiting game. I plan on making a decision next week. But right now the airlines in the US are not offering refunds for June travel, neither is the resort or apple vacations, so everyone would loose their $$$. You should check on that situaion, it may help you with your decision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gail, I would have to agree that waiting it out is probably the best option right now. Unless you & your guests have cancellation insurance there could be a lot of $$ lost to switch destinations. I'm a July bride and keeping hope that this will all die down in a few weeks. I can sympathize with the uncertainty of waiting, that is driving us all mad, LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. We are going to wait. I am just so burned out with everyone. I try and explain but they don't seem to get it. I think they were coming around THEN some of my guets EMPLOERS TOLD THEM IF THEY GO THEY can't come back for a week after they get back and have too be cleared by dr. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Peach looks better on tan skin. Red is a nice contrast against fair skin. 
    • How about installing a home web cam? And hire a house sitter to check up every week?
    • You can hire a graphic designer on Fiverr to create the wedding cards then just print them yourself. Another option so you can save money is to create the card how you want it on Canva and have them printed at a printing shop.
    • My wedding is coming soon, and I would like to know where I can find best wedding cards at affordable prices. I only find one store known as Lavenderpaperie.com where the cards are lovely and unique, But I want to know the other option name so that I can choose best wedding card. Please, if you have any suggestion on where to go, let me know. Thanks & Regards,
      Cadlen Leroy
       
    • Hi Brides! I have a Wally Bag - 66" available - $90 + shipping (US only) The wally bag typically sells for $120-$180. I used this gown bag once to transport my dress from MN to Mexico for our wedding - IT WAS PERFECT!   I was actually able to pack 4 additional maxi dresses, and my husband's wedding attire, plus a few pairs of shoes and some jewelry. I packed the dress the night before we left, and just moments before we left, I zipped the bag and folded it - ready for travel. It comes up with a nice over-the-shoulder strap, making it really easy to carry through the airports. No issues on Delta with the bag as my carry-on - I chose to put in the overhead bin, but the flight attendant did offer to hang it in the closet for me. Once we got to the resort, about 10 hours after I first folded the bag, I unpacked the bag and my dress was perfect - no wrinkles! My dress was mostly lace and had a bit of a train, but it arrived perfectly!  Honestly, this is the best way to travel with your dress! 
  • Topics

×