Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:04 PM
Hopefully our lack of posts doesn't mean that the rest of you have been slackers like I have been this week. I thought I'd post some snack ideas that I was emailed. I know I'm always looking for healthier snack ideas.
Tony's Top 10 Snacks
By Tony Horton, creator of P90X®
I rotate through this list of in-between goodies all week long. I'll even use the PROBAR and the protein shake as meal substitutes. Most of the things on this list can be packed up for travel time. The bars, pretzels, nuts, and graham crackers are perfect fast foods for when you're away from home. So no more excuses! Here are my top 10 snacks.
1. My sticky bar of course (with banana, peanut butter, and granola); see below
2. Almond butter (thinly spread) on organic whole-grain toast
3. Snyder's of Hanover Organic Oat Bran Pretzels
4. PROBAR nutrition bar (original blend), 380 calories of pure joyâ€”and 100% vegan
5. Protein shakeâ€”made with banana, half cup of frozen blueberries and strawberries, one tablespoon of flaxseed meal, two ice cubes, protein powder, and rice milk
6. Food For Life's Ezekiel 4:9 cereal with almonds mixed into 8 ounces of plain nonfat yogurt and half cup of fresh blueberries
7. Handful of raw mixed nuts
8. Mi-Del Honey Grahams (whole wheat; eight crackers are 280 calories)
9. CLIF Nectar barsâ€”I like the cinnamon pecan (four organic ingredients and only 170 calories)
10. LARABAR snack bars (ingredients: dates, pecans, almonds; 220 calories)
Tony's Sticky Bar
1/2 medium-size banana
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (organic minus hydrogenated oils, preferably)
1 cup unsweetened granola
Mix and mash all three ingredients into a bowl. Spoon onto a sheet of wax paper. Roll up the contents into hot dog/cigar shape. Stick in the freezer. Ready in about 90 minutes. Cut off little bites or eat the whole thing. Eat it frozen or throw it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Serves 2.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Freezing Time: 90 minutes
Nutritional Information: (per serving)Calories: 389 Protein: 14 g Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat Total: 17 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Carbs: 47 g