Photo

Waiting period to get married?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mellibean

mellibean
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

ok this is driving me nuts! ok maybe not.
    but i have been doing my reseach and i have been getting differnt info. about this.

I read you have to fax documents 4-6 weeks prior to your arrival to jamaica and once you get there i have read..... you have to wait 48 hours......others say 24 hours..... then i read this one:

Arriving in Jamaica 24 or 48 hours prior to your wedding day is only a formality, not a law. Providing that a Minister’s License was applied for and received on your behalf, you can get married within minutes of your arrival in Jamaica

so im guessing the last statement is true?

btw.. i live in new york , do i have to do anything when i get back home to make it legal there?
    thanks

#2 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
    • 475 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

I am probably not going to clarify this issue any better, but it might reinforce the fact that you don't get a straight answer. The WC at RMB said that we should be there a full two days before the wedding (e.g., our wedding is on Friday, we should arrive on Tuesday). However, during the same meeting she said that she had a couple arrive the night before the wedding and that she had to meet with them and arrange everything in less than 24 hours and was able to pull it off.
      Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#3 taovandel

taovandel
      • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

My coordinator said 24 hours.

I'm assuming they would say 48 just because it gives them more time to coordinate everything with you without rushing.

#4 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,504 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

I was told 48 hours but I am guessing that has more to do with coordinating the wedding. So if we arrived on Thursday we could get married on Saturday type thing. It gives the WC more time to be sure your details are in order and you can fix things if you need to.

With my resort we had to have all of the paperwork in a minimum of 30 days before arrival so I really don't think there would be a paperwork issue.

After you are married you will receive a temporary marriage certificate. You can use that to change your name and status on certain local things, some bank information, etc.

Your real marriage license will arrive in 3-4 months and you take that to the social security office to officially change your name and marital status with the federal government. You probably won't be able to change your drivers license until you get your real certificate.

#5 jamaica2009bride

jamaica2009bride
          • 123 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I was first told 72 hours (I cannot, for the life of me, remember who said that) but that Sundays "don't count" towards that time! When I realized this in a panic this morning I called my TA who assured me that 24 hours is the minimum.

#6 montegobay09

montegobay09
            • 832 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

I also read that Jamaican law requires 24hrs on the island before getting married. My resort required 2 days (not including your arrival day or Sundays) in order to plan the wedding.

Hope that helps!

#7 Preciousmi811

Preciousmi811
              • 342 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have the exact same question I am doing a red eye on a Thurs night and checking in Friday to ROR and I planned on getting married Monday. I also read that Sunday doesn't count. My travel agent is going to ROR next week I will have her confirm and report back.
                One Love

ClubHotel Riu Negril May 14 2010 wedding date. Anyone want to share a photographer? I am flying my photographer out regardless, if you want to split travel cost let me know!!!!

Password: 12345http://gs105.photobu....are_email_albuhttp://tickers.Ticke...m/ezt...b2f9...

#8 amberlynne87

amberlynne87
                • 148 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

If you are staying at a Riu, go to Wedding Packages by Destination. Honeymoon Holidays. Weddings by Riu. There is a FAQ link at the top of the page. Read through it. It tells you all you need to know and the WC will back it up. My wedding is on a Tuesday. We have to arrive two full business days before the wedding. Sundays do not count has business days and the arrival day does not count either. We have to arrive on Friday so that leaves Saturday and Monday as the two full business days. When you book your wedding online with Riu, you have to enter your arrival day. Basically it won't go through if you pick your arrival date that doesn't allow two full business days before the wedding.

#9 Preciousmi811

Preciousmi811
                  • 342 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by amberlynne87
                    If you are staying at a Riu, go to Wedding Packages by Destination. Honeymoon Holidays. Weddings by Riu. There is a FAQ link at the top of the page. Read through it. It tells you all you need to know and the WC will back it up. My wedding is on a Tuesday. We have to arrive two full business days before the wedding. Sundays do not count has business days and the arrival day does not count either. We have to arrive on Friday so that leaves Saturday and Monday as the two full business days. When you book your wedding online with Riu, you have to enter your arrival day. Basically it won't go through if you pick your arrival date that doesn't allow two full business days before the wedding.
                    Thank you! It just seems like so many people work around this issue when they arrive at the resort. I read the FAQ and that is what freaked me in the beginning but than I hear of so many people working around that issue when they get to the resort. My TA is going next week and I am going to have her scope out the situation and see if the resort "policy" is enforced and she is meeting with the management at ROR so I will hear what they have to say on the issue as well. I will post when i find out!
                    One Love

ClubHotel Riu Negril May 14 2010 wedding date. Anyone want to share a photographer? I am flying my photographer out regardless, if you want to split travel cost let me know!!!!

Password: 12345http://gs105.photobu....are_email_albuhttp://tickers.Ticke...m/ezt...b2f9...

#10 jennie

jennie
                    • 200 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

We are getting married at RPTB and the WC told us to be there 2 full business days, not counting weekends and the day of the arrival. It has to be at least 2 full days prior to the ceremony. I don't know if that's just the RPTB rules or Jamaica rules.
                      We are flying in on Tues. and getting married on Friday. Hope that helps you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users