Sign in to follow this  
fieldofflowers

How much work is this going to be?

Hi, I'm planning a DW in Jamaica for April 2010. One of our mean reasons for this was to keep costs down and I'm not really the type to want to plan a big wedding. Since I've been on here and reading I'm finding some great ideas and suggestions but now I'm feeling overwhelmed. Can you keep a DW very simple or does it turn into as much work as a home wedding? HELP!

it can be as little work as you want it to be. the thing is, people start getting excited about making their own personal touches and really customizing their weddings ... and next thing you know you've got 28596450231548943 DIY projects!

It's only as much work as you want to put into it. You can very easily find an All Inclusive resort that can pretty much plan the whole thing for you... just show up and say I DO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummergirl View Post
it can be as little work as you want it to be. the thing is, people start getting excited about making their own personal touches and really customizing their weddings ... and next thing you know you've got 28596450231548943 DIY projects!
Well put!

I planned on doing very simple and then got so excited about things that it is not as simple. As for cost I think that depends on the resort and on how many people are coming. We have a 40 people and things are getting a bit more pricey than we had thought.

I am going to agree with the other responses. We wanted a DW for two reasons...first we love taking island vacations, so it fits us and our personalities. Second, we wanted something smaller and less expensive than we would pay for a full wedding here. I thought I would keep it real simple. And, I did not think I would do any DIY projects. But after looking through all the great ideas here, I find myself planning to do quite a few. But, they have had only a minimal impact on budget since they are DIY and I am doing Internet searching to find the best prices for the materials. And, in a few cases they have saved me money - DIY Save the dates

Ive done pretty much nothing. Easiest, most stress-free event of my life. We've done nothing over and above what the resort is offering us. Dont sweat it -- do as much or as little as you want. Its your wedding.

Its as much work as you make it...it can be simple and beautiful or you can get caught up in all of the DIY projects and make it totally personalized and so still so wonderful - whichever you want!

Thanks for your thoughts. I have definitly seen some DIY on here that I would love to do and probably will try to personalize our wedding as much as we can without breaking the bank. When I was seeing some of the details and wonderful things people were doing on here I thought that I should be as well. I got stressed thinking about it and I want our day to be as stress free as possible!

Don't worry. One of the best things about destination weddings are that they can be as easy or as hard as you'd like. Some people just show up and let the resort take care of everything, others plan every little detail themselves. It's completely up to you!

Personally, I started out saying I was just going to let the resort do the work. Next thing you know, I made my own invitations, my own decorations, I hired my own photographer, and I designed all the little details. I just had a lot of extra time and since I wasn't planning on doing them, if I had time and I was bored, I figured that was one extra little touch. Definitely nothing to get stressed out about! :)

Good luck!