Jump to content

Photo

Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here


  • Please log in to reply
6405 replies to this topic

#5111 misskim_red@msn.com

misskim_red@msn.com
  • Newbie
  • 144 posts

    Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

    Originally Posted by uhura526 

    Okay ladies, I got my mid-production photos of my dress yesterday from Jasmine's.  I looked it at with my MOH and my initial reaction was, something ain't right about it and also why does it look like it's got no shape?  I mean the bodice doesn't exactly have that hourglass look I expected so does this have to do with my shape? I have no idea. I did custom measurements but I also tried on the original dress and it definitely gave me that hourglass shape that I wanted.  I think also the rouching in the bodice is wrong in the front.  Any help would be well received and appreciated. Thanks!

     

    I have quite a bit of experience in clothing construction and what to explain a few things.  The photo of the original uses horizontal shirring.  It uses a slight angle on top underbust and may on the bottom but I can't tell from the photos.  If you ordered the dress using your actual measurements, that is the size you will get the dress.  If the professional dress "pulled" or "sucked' you in more this dress will not.  One thing that is greatly lacking in almost all of the replica dresses is the structure.  That is why on plus size replicas you see so much wrinkling and improper fitting.  The companies that create the replicas use plastic boning but they do not create an internal structured corest then build the dress around that the way designer dresses are made.

     

    If you want more of the hourglass figure I would plan on getting the dress an inch or more smaller than actual size then plan on wearing a corset underneath for shape. 

     

    The details you've given in the photo are good and I think will accent the hourglass shape you are looking for nicely.


    'Gra geal mo chroi'

    #5112 uhura526

    uhura526
    • Jr. Member
    • 330 posts

      Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

      Originally Posted by misskim_red@msn.com 

      I have quite a bit of experience in clothing construction and what to explain a few things.  The photo of the original uses horizontal shirring.  It uses a slight angle on top underbust and may on the bottom but I can't tell from the photos.  If you ordered the dress using your actual measurements, that is the size you will get the dress.  If the professional dress "pulled" or "sucked' you in more this dress will not.  One thing that is greatly lacking in almost all of the replica dresses is the structure.  That is why on plus size replicas you see so much wrinkling and improper fitting.  The companies that create the replicas use plastic boning but they do not create an internal structured corest then build the dress around that the way designer dresses are made.

       

      If you want more of the hourglass figure I would plan on getting the dress an inch or more smaller than actual size then plan on wearing a corset underneath for shape. 

       

      The details you've given in the photo are good and I think will accent the hourglass shape you are looking for nicely.

      Thank you for your observations. I have been in contact with Lisa and she told me that the bodice in the original does go across horizontally. I do however see that it definitely has that triangular shape where the bodice meets the lace trim/ruffle skirt area. She said they would talk to the seamstress about that.  We'll see what they do with the changes I asked for.  As for the shape, I am confused with this because I am not plus sized and I actually do have a curvy figure.  I am a size 6/8 in regular dresses and clothes. My measurements correspond with this wedding gown to a 10/12.  Mostly because I am top heavy but have small hips and we're talking wedding gowns here.  I already planned on having alterations once I get the dress and I'd rather it be on the larger side than the smaller side. Maybe the mannequin they used wasn't the right one? I don't know but Wish me luck anyway!



      #5113 MissKoralK

      MissKoralK
      • Banned
      • 20 posts

        Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

        Ok Ladies,

         

        My dress has been shipped (Earlier than target).

         

        I eagerly await the arrival. 4days to go

         

        I pray it turns out perfect when I try it on



        #5114 MissKoralK

        MissKoralK
        • Banned
        • 20 posts

          Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

          Originally Posted by thespill 

          I received my dress from Jasmines today!  It's beautifully made, but quite large.  I was measured professionally, had her double check the measurements before sending them, and just did them again myself (I'm still the same measurements).  Even with the whole corset done up so tightly that the sides touch, the dress is sliding off me.  The bust is also strangely shaped - kind of pointy and narrow.  It was also supposed to be a fit and flare style, but they seem to have made it A line shaped.  It's supposed to fit fairly tight over my butt and hips, then gradually flare out, but it flares from my waist the butt/hips are very baggy.  I sent them hip measurements, so there's no excuse why they should be so far off.  With only two weeks to my wedding, I'm stressed about getting the alterations done in time and properly.  I was hoping to avoid any alterations AND the expense of them. 

           

          I have photos, just don't know how to upload them...


          So sorry to hear that.

           

          Are you saying the dress measurements are off what you sent to them?

           

          Cos if that is the case, then you should contact them to fix it since it'll be an error on their part. You could measure each part of the dress and take pictures of the measurements and send to them...the least they could do will be to reimburse you for the alterations you would have to do.

           

          If you have a good seamstress, they should be able to work some magic...good thing its bigger not smaller than you.

           

          I hope it works out very well and you get the dress you desire.



          #5115 misskim_red@msn.com

          misskim_red@msn.com
          • Newbie
          • 144 posts

            Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

            Originally Posted by uhura526 

            Thank you for your observations. I have been in contact with Lisa and she told me that the bodice in the original does go across horizontally. I do however see that it definitely has that triangular shape where the bodice meets the lace trim/ruffle skirt area. She said they would talk to the seamstress about that.  We'll see what they do with the changes I asked for.  As for the shape, I am confused with this because I am not plus sized and I actually do have a curvy figure.  I am a size 6/8 in regular dresses and clothes. My measurements correspond with this wedding gown to a 10/12.  Mostly because I am top heavy but have small hips and we're talking wedding gowns here.  I already planned on having alterations once I get the dress and I'd rather it be on the larger side than the smaller side. Maybe the mannequin they used wasn't the right one? I don't know but Wish me luck anyway!

            Yes, it could be the mannequin.  Keep in mind mannequins have front to back curves, not side to side like most women.  As long as you're planning on having alterations done after I'm sure it will be fine.  I, too, am curvy but petite.  Get a good support corset or bustier either way and have it ready when you do your alterations.  If you are larger busted and realy simply on the dress to hold  you up it might let you down throughout the night.

             

            Good luck.  It looks like they did a great job on the overall dress and I love the skirt!


            'Gra geal mo chroi'

            #5116 Donna Hewitt

            Donna Hewitt
            • Jr. Member
            • 227 posts

              Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

              Originally Posted by MissKoralK 

              Ok Ladies,

               

              My dress has been shipped (Earlier than target).

               

              I eagerly await the arrival. 4days to go

               

              I pray it turns out perfect when I try it on

              Good Luck!!!  Can't wait to see a pic on you - Don't make us wait tooooo long!!!  I have my fingers crossed for you that it will come in perfect!!

               

              And question to all.... I am fairly big chested - I've ordered a strapless lacey dress from Jasmines( Maggie Soterro - Arabella), Will it come with some sort of built it bra of sorts?  Or is that wishful thinking?  Can you have something like that put in?  

               

              I'm living in Asia and they do not cater well in the lingerie department above a B cup...  thoughts?



              #5117 KittyInHeels

              KittyInHeels
              • Newbie
              • 37 posts

                Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

                Originally Posted by thespill 

                I received my dress from Jasmines today!  It's beautifully made, but quite large.  I was measured professionally, had her double check the measurements before sending them, and just did them again myself (I'm still the same measurements).  Even with the whole corset done up so tightly that the sides touch, the dress is sliding off me.  The bust is also strangely shaped - kind of pointy and narrow.  It was also supposed to be a fit and flare style, but they seem to have made it A line shaped.  It's supposed to fit fairly tight over my butt and hips, then gradually flare out, but it flares from my waist the butt/hips are very baggy.  I sent them hip measurements, so there's no excuse why they should be so far off.  With only two weeks to my wedding, I'm stressed about getting the alterations done in time and properly.  I was hoping to avoid any alterations AND the expense of them. 

                 

                I have photos, just don't know how to upload them...

                Hi thespill, I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. Since you don't have much time left, I'd suggest you try asking a local seamstress who does express work to try and fix the dress for you. Hope it's not a complicated dress.

                 

                I got an email from James from Jasmine's saying that they will be on holidays from Sept. 29 to Oct. 4 (public holidays over there). So I suggest you contact them straight away, and get them to pay for at least part (if not all) of the alternation cost. Make sure you keep all the emails you had with them, and you can use them as evidence that you have sent the correct measurements measured by a professional. You might even get the seamstress to state that in writing for you, and get the seamstress to write that the dress is not made according to the measurements you sent. You can scan and send that to them. If you have a receipt from the seamstress, scan that and attach that too.

                 

                For photo uploading, you just have to move your mouse above the message box (there are many tool boxes) so that the arrow is pointing to the 3rd box from the right. If you point the arrow on the furthest left picture in the box, it says 'insert image'. You need to click that to attach photos.

                 

                Hope this helps.

                Kittyinheels



                #5118 KittyInHeels

                KittyInHeels
                • Newbie
                • 37 posts

                  Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

                  Hi girls,

                   

                  I have got some more pictures of my dress from James after Jasmine's Bridal had properly smoothed out the dress and steamed it so it's not so crinkled (makes it easier for me to see what needs to be changed). I think the dress looks nice and looks similar to the original, but I still would like some alterations done before they put beads on. James said that all of my requests can be done. They said that my beads will be rhinestones, crystals and seed beads. Can't wait!

                   

                  I purposefully chose a dress that is not hard to alter (e.g. not many beads, folds and symmetric, etc). I ordered the dress a few weeks ago, but I lost a few kilos since then, so the dress might be potentially big for me. I checked the dress' seams, and they have seams at the back and sides that my local seamstress can use to trim the dress if it's needed. I also asked a local seamstress to measure me (only costed me $10) before ordering.

                   

                  I also got them to shorten the train, so it's easier for me to walk around on the day. I have asked for both designer level fabric and craftsmanship. Also the material is chiffon with silk as that's the same as the original dress.

                   

                  My wedding is in Jan, so I got heaps of time. And I ordered a dress only a few weeks ago, and they are almost finished with the dress. :) That's something good about simple dresses too.

                   

                  Kittyinheels

                   

                   



                  #5119 uhura526

                  uhura526
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 330 posts

                    Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

                    Originally Posted by Donna Hewitt 

                    Good Luck!!!  Can't wait to see a pic on you - Don't make us wait tooooo long!!!  I have my fingers crossed for you that it will come in perfect!!

                     

                    And question to all.... I am fairly big chested - I've ordered a strapless lacey dress from Jasmines( Maggie Soterro - Arabella), Will it come with some sort of built it bra of sorts?  Or is that wishful thinking?  Can you have something like that put in?  

                     

                    I'm living in Asia and they do not cater well in the lingerie department above a B cup...  thoughts?

                    Yes, they do put cups in the dress but make sure you email them and tell them!  It doesn't cost extra. I was concerned about the same issue because I am also large chested.   When I tried on the original dress, they all come with cups in them so I made sure to ask Lisa if they do the same with their dresses at Jasmine's and she said they do.



                    #5120 uhura526

                    uhura526
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 330 posts

                      Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

                      Originally Posted by KittyInHeels 

                      Hi girls,

                       

                      I have got some more pictures of my dress from James after Jasmine's Bridal had properly smoothed out the dress and steamed it so it's not so crinkled (makes it easier for me to see what needs to be changed). I think the dress looks nice and looks similar to the original, but I still would like some alterations done before they put beads on. James said that all of my requests can be done. They said that my beads will be rhinestones, crystals and seed beads. Can't wait!

                       

                      I purposefully chose a dress that is not hard to alter (e.g. not many beads, folds and symmetric, etc). I ordered the dress a few weeks ago, but I lost a few kilos since then, so the dress might be potentially big for me. I checked the dress' seams, and they have seams at the back and sides that my local seamstress can use to trim the dress if it's needed. I also asked a local seamstress to measure me (only costed me $10) before ordering.

                       

                      I also got them to shorten the train, so it's easier for me to walk around on the day. I have asked for both designer level fabric and craftsmanship. Also the material is chiffon with silk as that's the same as the original dress.

                       

                      My wedding is in Jan, so I got heaps of time. And I ordered a dress only a few weeks ago, and they are almost finished with the dress. :) That's something good about simple dresses too.

                       

                      Kittyinheels

                       

                       

                      Your dress is really coming along nicely!  It does look just like the original. It will look fabulous once the beading is applied! Congrats.  Now just hope my luck is as good as yours lol  






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users