Photo

Where are you legally marrying?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Karen

Karen
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

I've heard in order to bypass international red tape, some couples have civil cermonies in the state and symbolic unions abroad. At this point Jay and I are having a civil and legal ceremony in Tulum Mexico. The legal requirements don't seem too bad and our wedding coordinator will assist. Thank goodness we don't need chest x-rays (Some Mexican regions require this)

Since I'm divorced, I have to present translated copies of my birth certificate and divorce decree. Has anyone had experiance with the legal marital process in Mexico? Has all gone smoothly?
    <center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#2 tvt

tvt
    • VIP Member
    • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

We're doing it legally in the US just to avoid the hassles of translating documents and all that junk. Dominican Republic is pretty easy, but we jus figure it's just easier to get it done with here.

#3 DreaW

DreaW
      • Banned
      • 2,462 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

We decided that we are also doing it legally in the states then go to Cabo for ceremony. In the beginning of all the planning we thought we were going to have the whole thing (legalities and such) in Cabos but then Erik said he didn't want to go 3 days prior to mexico just to do blood work and I don't like needles. Also we didn't want to do all that paper work you have to do.
        So we've decided to do legal stuff in CA. and ceremony in Cabos.

#4 MelissaH

MelissaH
        • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

We did it legally in Mexico - it was easy as pie....the only thing that sucks is waiting 3-4 months for the apostille seal.

#5 *JillD*

*JillD*
          • 5,112 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

we're getting married at home first, it just seems like less of a hassle and also saves us a lot in all the translation fees etc...

#6 Karen

Karen
            • 1,308 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Melissa, did you have to wait for the apostille seal in order to change your name and change over insurance policies and such here in the states?
              <center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#7 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 6,996 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:46 PM

Different resorts and judges have different rules. Dreams Cabo is pretty laid back. I didn't have to have any documents translated, I just bring the originals and they take it from there...

#8 MelissaH

MelissaH
                • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

I can change my name legally now - we have our Mexican marriage documents and most places are OK with that.

#9 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
                  • 5,248 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

I am getting married legally here in the states b/c I hate needles and it just seems easier than having everything translated. Plus while we def want a beach wedding, it is very important to us and our families to get married in a Catholic Church so we will have our legal/religious ceremony here in the U.S.

-Glenda

#10 ~Melissa~

~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 8,680 posts
                    • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
                    • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
                    • LocationUtah

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:18 AM

I'm with Glenda - I HATE NEEDLES.

but we decided to get married legally in Florida.... and hopefully if everything goes smoothly we'll be getting legally married in the summer (a couple months prior t our october wedding)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users