Sign in to follow this  
jackobelle

Is your marriage in Cuba legal In Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAlberta View Post
JUlie G
Did your certificate come in Spanish?
It did. You can get them to translate it, but it takes a lot more time and you have to pay for it. There is no need to translate it, the government offices take it as in, in Spanish. So it was super easy to change my name. smile29.gif

so, i did not end up getting an unofficial certificate before i left.. bummer.. so i guess im here waiting for 3 months before i can be officially Mrs Reid.. bank keeps giving me a hard time about cashing in my cheques from the wedding that say Mark and Jackie Reid.. its sooo annoying!

Jackie... I have heard that the actual wait time can be as much as 10-12 months... sorry if I am the bearer of bad news.... I still don't have mine.

You can't get married again, that is not legal, but I am sure you know that :)

My certificate took only 3 months to arrive, so I would not think the worst just yet.

Can't your husband just cash the cheques, will that make things easier?

That's what we've been doing for those cheques with DH's last name. It's kind of a pain but it's ok! Looking forward to receiving the certificate and being able to change my name though!

i am so with you on that one... even though its almost been a month since the wedding... im really getting anxious to have the certificate so i can get things switched over.. i almost feel like were not married because we dont have the papers to show for it.. plus.. DH is going to be enlisting in the airforce as an officer and they are going to need that info... im crossing my fingers that it comes sooner than later :P