How to legally change your name

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Starryt

• 127 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

It's almost been a year and I am FINALLY changing my name- thanks for this posting. I was procrastinating because I thought there was a lot to be done. But now it seems simple and stress-free!!!

#62 *New* Mrs. G

*New* Mrs. G
    • 226 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

I found out today that our provincial insurance corporation does not accept notarized copies of the marriage certificate to change my name, only translations from a SPECIFIC organization The Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia (S.T.I.B.C.). Other brides in Canada may want to check out this website to link to your home province translators.

The Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia (S.T.I.B.C.) was incorporated in 1981. It is a non-profit professional association and an affiliate of the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC), the umbrella organization for the associations of translators and interpreters in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Qu©bec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Yukon and Nunavut. CTTIC is a member of the FIT (F©d©ration Internationale des Traducteurs).
      It may be different in other provinces, but at least it's a start. There's also links for translators in the USA & elsewhere on this page.

#63 midnight24

• 754 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

glad i read this post. i was just wondering about what to do for myself.

find it interesting you can add your maiden name as your middle name. i think that might solve my problem for deciding on keeping both. great tip!

#64 belle_jacobs

• 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Janet
          THanks Tammy and Nicole. THis is going to be my project for next month (fun fun)
          all the best!

#65 MDLady

• 433 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Wow, great info. I had a general idea of the process but it's nice to be able to hear exactly what worked for others. I just got a new passport (mine expired 2 months before the wedding. DOH!!!!!!). But I am definitely changing my name, just a matter of going to all of the offices and filling out all the paperwork.

A related question is regarding combining finances. Is it easier to do once all the name change is completed? I don't want to get things confused so I wonder if it makes sense to do the name change first and then when all the dust settles, go take care of bank accounts?!? Any thoughts?

#66 AishaB

• 2,350 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Great post, thanks so much!
              BDW the best place for my TYPE A personality!

#67 mdb

• 190 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

WOW sounds like a lot to do.. But this should be very helpful

#68 *New* Mrs. G

*New* Mrs. G
                • 226 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I've been married for 5 months, 3 weeks & 5 days, and FINALLY my government health care name is being changed!! Only passport is left but I'm not eager to change it, because of the cost & how long the dang form is. lol

(OMG I just realized it's almost been 6 months!!)

#69 lsjhik

• 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

Great advice! I added this to my favorites so I remember it all!

#70 imoriyama

• 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Here is a small input from me :) I had to go through this process myself last year and it didn't take long at all :) As long as you know what you are doing and where to go - you will be good to go in no time

Good luck ladies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users