Photo

Married in the states first...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 cowman1999

cowman1999
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

We are planning on getting married in South Carolina first, and then just have a non legal wedding in Mexico. Is there a certain time frame we must get married before going down to Mexico? Can we do it 6 months before our trip or must it happen within 2 weeks of the trip? Obviously I just threw those numbers out there, but if it can happen anytime I guess that gives us the freedom to pick whichever date for our REAL anniversary date... Just a thought...

#2 Kat81

Kat81
    • VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

There is no time frame. I was married two months before. Some people get married a year before some a couple days.

#3 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yep, no time frame. We gotr married by a notary in SC a few days before leaving for our DW - and our friend who is also the notary filed the paperwork for us while we were gone.

Where in SC are you?

#4 cowman1999

cowman1999
        • 107 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Technically our address is Moore, but we are in Spartanburg.

#5 imapepper

imapepper
          • 89 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

That's a good question. My FI and I plan on getting married a couple of days/weeks before we head to Punta Cana. If it was up to me, we would get married right now!!! LOL

#6 Ayita

Ayita
            • 861 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

We're getting married in the States mid February and in Mexico on May 2nd.

#7 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
              • 4,979 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

The only time you "need" a few days as it relates to your wedding is if you're planning on getting legally married somewhere other than where you reside, at which point you'd need to look into it further per your destination. For instance, I believe you have to be in Mexico for 3 business days before your ceremony.

We got married here at home almost 2 months before our Mexico wedding. It was fun to have two days!!
                Happily Married since May 9, 2008
                Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#8 cabobride10

cabobride10
                • 17 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

My fiance and I are going have a symbolic wedding in Mexico as well. I was actually thinking about doing the legal wedding AFTER the symbolic wedding, just so that our wedding in Mexico will be our 1st time getting married and also the day we will celebrate as our anniversary:)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#9 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
                  • 4,979 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by cabobride10
                    My fiance and I are going have a symbolic wedding in Mexico as well. I was actually thinking about doing the legal wedding AFTER the symbolic wedding, just so that our wedding in Mexico will be our 1st time getting married and also the day we will celebrate as our anniversary:)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
                    We were going to do that, but honestly as it got closer.. (A) it was nice to actually BE married on our wedding day instead of waiting until we got back and; (B) honestly, by the time the wedding rolled around, it was nice to have all the planning/stress/running around over and just enjoy our new marriage.

I don't think getting legally married 2nd would make your wedding day any less significant, just for me it was nice to know at the end of the wedding day, we were actually husband and wife, kwim?
                    Happily Married since May 9, 2008
                    Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#10 missdanelle

missdanelle
                    • 687 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

we are planning on getting married after we got back as well. Our reason is because of all of the paperwork and passports to be straight for our trip to Mexico. If you get married before then it wont match your ID and passport; right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users